Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and, as of 20 April 2021 (Eastern Time), the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous

Do the Welsh hate the English?

Okay, so I am going on a school trip to "Canerafon" I can't spell it :) in the North of Wales and it's the biggest Welsh community in the country. Something like 97% of the population speak fluent Welsh, what I would like to know is, am I going to be abused?

Emotionally maybe - I have been in shops in north wales where they are speaking English when I come in and revert to welsh - It isnt welcoming but then who does like us? Better get used to dealing with it - Scots and Irish and cornish aren't keen either. Its a load of tosh as their beef is with the capitalists and ruling classes but there you go - To be English is to be hated but like Kipling said poem 'if' "dont deal in hate" Its probably more about rugby or football league these days anyway.

I am Welsh first language, and can honestly say i don't hate the English, as a matter of fact I don't hate any nation, don't get me wrong there are a few English people I wouldn't have much time for, as well as there are some Welsh people.

I do Dislike the attitude of some English people that believe Wales is a joke and should lose it nationality, this is the kind of attitude that makes people like yourself believe that there is some sort of enmity between the two.

So to answer your question, NO, don't worry about it, I live on the border between Wales and England (so my accent is not strong when i speak english, it's probably more English than welsh) , an hour or 2 away from Caernarfon, I go there regularly with my English wife, so I will be speaking English and have never had an issue with locals, and bare in mind if they were speaking about me in Welsh I would be fully aware) Hope this helps.

Source(s): First Language Welsh, lived in various parts of North Wales since Birth.

Yes, you're obviously going to be abused by us Celtic barbarians. We still wear no clothes, you know, paint our skin with woad and stick our hair up with lime. Don't come looking too much like a sheep either, you know what we're like. We all prefer to speak English, you know. In fact,no, I tell a lie, my favourite foreign language is French. It's not that we like to speak Welsh because it's possibly one of the most beautiful languages in existence, and it's ours, it's just because we like to get one up over the English infidels.

In answer to your question (that previous paragraph was aimed more at 'jac the hat'), no, you won't be 'abused'. They're a friendly lot up in Caernarfon. I thought it was nice to walk through a council estate with everyone speaking Welsh on it myself, but then, I do speak it. You'll be looked after by the folks up there. They're equally nice to everyone. By the way, if you walk into a shop and they're speaking Welsh - they were speaking Welsh already. I think people interpret them as switching from English to Welsh when you enter a shop because many Welsh speakers find it easier to speak a form of Wenglish (i.e Welsh with some little bits of English thrown in - although many in Caernarfon have no need). You're as unlikely to be 'abused' as you are in any town or city anywhere else in Britain, if not less likely.

Let's be honest, some Welsh people hate the English. I don't, myself. I'm half-English, and my better half is from Leicester. I speak Welsh because I love it. And because it's pretty damned romantic. ;)

But anyway, i went off the point slightly there. Yes, some Welsh people hate the English, the same way some British people hate the Germans, i.e - because of something that happened in the past. I don't think we can exclusively blame the English for globalisation, and the increase of English as an international language, although, I know, if you go back far enough, it was due to the English having colonised North America, and because one of the English kings decided Wales belonged to him.

Anyway, you're not going to be abused for your race, if that's your worry. You might get abused for anything else you might in any other city. Apart from the thriving Welsh language, Caernarfon is exactly the same as any city. But try greeting shopkeepers with a 'bore da', or 'shw mae' - it's nice to know you're trying. :)

Mwynha, a phob lwc. :)

Enjoy, and good luck. :)

No, of course you won't!!! I live not very far from there and I can assure you that 'Jac the hat' is indeed speaking through his/her hat!!

There is an idea among some misinformed English people (who will always claim that it actually happened to them) that Welsh speaking people (who speak Welsh as their first language every day [like I do]) will for some strange reason be speaking to each other in their second language (English), then and only then, if an English person walks in a shop ( the story usually quotes a pub, but never mind) they suddenly revert to Welsh. This sort of anti-Welsh propaganda doesn't do Welsh/ English relations a lot of good.

1) Why would Welsh-speaking people speak to each other in their second language in the first place? (I've never heard two 'Cofis' speak English to each other, unlike people from Bangor)

2) How would 'Jac' know what language they were speaking BEFORE he/she entered the shop/pub?

3) What do they think happens...someone outside with a mobile or walkie-talkie warning them..."Englishman approaching...change to Welsh...NOW!"

4) How would they know he/she was English anyhow...would he/she be wearing a 'John Bull' costume?

Seriously though, you'll be alright...no-one will bat an eyelid, people of Caernarfon (Cofis) are a likeable bunch....and they are very friendly to the thousands of English people who visit every year...enjoy your stay..Croeso i Gaernarfon!

Source(s): Welsh first language...I speak it every day (not just when I hear or see an approaching English person)

Maybe on the rugby field, but off it as far as I have found.

EDIT.

Oops. I made a typo. I meant to sat NOT off the rugby pitch.

• roh P

Isn't true that almost everyone hates the English