How dose the price of heating ones home effect you budget?

Gasoline, diesel,propane, electricity all has gone up and is predicted to keep rising.

Favorite Answer

Well, everything I have is paid for. That makes it seem as if the power portion of my bills are higher. Of course they are not. This summer I actually broke a record on how little I spent. Anyway it does not have a great effect on my budget.

You made an error. The price of propane in down, in fact at record lows. Gasoline has been going down, but has bottomed and now will be headed back up as winter comes. Diesel prices have not moved much for almost 8 months. However, one should expect that to change soon. We may be in for a hard winter. There are already snow storms in the upper northern states.

It truly DOES affect us an we have to watch. Our home is fairly well insulated and thankfully natural gas is actually down quite a bit in our are. We stay on budget billing for both gas and electricity so that helps. It is frightenening to hear people say they have to find $350 for a month's heat, ours is $80.00 for budget and we always have a surplus in the summer months which suits us just fine.

We have an electric dryer so I might tend to use it more in the winter since we can vent it into the basement. Also I use the oven more in the winter - a roast in the oven instead of crock pot, that sort of thing since this will help warm the house. In the very cold weather, single digits or so, I will keep a kettle of hot water just steaming a bit on the gas stove to help add a bit of humidity to the air. This seems to help us too. The furnace may be natural gas, but it needs electricity to run the motor, so both bills go up when it runs.

• Snid

We are on the budget plan and they tell us how much we will pay for gas/electric for each month and we budget in that amount. If we have a harsh winter they may up it a bit but if we have a mild winter they lower it. Often we over pay and have a credit for a month. Our house is 3 stories but it is well built and insulated well. We also conserve energy by turning the heat down at night and never having it above 68 degrees. We shut the drapes if it is particularly cold or windy. We try to do laundry in the evening (supposedly it's better if you do laundry at non peak hours). Our water heater is set lower, too. It's just the two of us so we never run our of hot water. I do laundry in cold water, too.

So far it has worked for us.

I live in Florida. I think I have used heat maybe 3-4 times to take the chill off a couple times. Still the AC has to run all the time. It has become very expensive but I have no alternative. It gets very hot and the sun shines on the front of my little condo during the hottest part of the day. Even with ceiling fans, there are very few days that the AC isn't on. Happily, today is cool. Actually get to let FRESH air in!

• Becks

We pay the same amount each month by direct debit all year around so that in the summer months when we don't have the central heating on the money is gathered nicely to pay for the winter bill.

The company have tried to get us to pay less for half the year but when we explained it would be better for us to pay the same all year round they were ok about it. Sometimes we pay way too much and then they send us a cheque for the remainder so it's like having a little savings account as well as paying utilities. :)

• E-ma

Texan on natural gas. It's cheaper to heat than to cool my home. Winter time is always a budget break for us. My husband likes house cold b/c his job is out doors. He doesn't want much heat in the home in winter. He wants A/C blasting the other 3 seasons. I'm used to wearing thermals & sweat suits all year long when I am indoors.

The only Texan I know of that answers the door in winter wear all year long.

There's a space heater in one bathroom. I get to heat that room & I go stand in there when I get too cold.

So all of this is not economy based. Our winter price break comes from life style.

My husband and I cut our own wood to keep our house warm. I set the thermostat to 55 at night so it's not too cold when we get up to light the wood stove in the morning. We use propane and although the price has gone up, I'm using less.

Natural gas here in Canada.

But my friend on the farm, who is a recent widow burns oil (diesel).

It's a huge concern.

Our electricity is going up 50% in the next 10 years.

It's a bill that must be paid.

• Diana

I'm on the budget plan where my energy costs are averages out year round, so I know what my bill will be each month. I live in a well insulated townhouse with units on either side of me, and I keep my house at 68 degrees year round.

• jhaban

As Jim reported, in case you have a settlement for that value, then no it won't pass down, (comparable holds real if the value is going up), yet whilst they have you ever on a month-to-month budget your value will substitute with the marketplace. verify with your Propane provider provider while you're undecided what plan you're on.