Should I delay ttc for 2 months cos summer born babies do less well at school?

I'm 37 & have just managed to persuade DH to try for our 1st child after being on the Pill for 9 years. We've had no luck in the last 3 months although checking dates with my period, we probably only actually had a chance 1 month.

If we conceive this month or next the baby would be born July or Aug. I've heard summer born babies don't do as well at school - is this true? Advice from teachers particularly welcome!!!

Should I delay and start ttc again in Dec for Sept???

(Obviously I'm aware that we've left things quite late but my biological clock only woke up a year ago...)

Favorite Answer

Well, as a teacher with a degree in English, A levels, 9 GCSEs grades A-C and a person who was born in the last week of August I don't think this is true! My brother was born first week September, and academically he's no better or worse than me (currently studying maths at uni).

What I will say is that both from my experience of my own childhood, and in my professional capacity as a secondary school teacher, the kids that do best academically are those who are loved, nurtured, taken out and given experiences, those who have access to books/ libraries, and those whose parents actually give a damn about their child's education, rather than the time of year they were born in. I've taught plenty of summer babies who have achieved very highly; likewise I've had Autumn/ winter-born babies who have always under achieved. And vice-versa.

Whilst I was always young in my school year I started school knowing all my letters/ numbers, being able to read at a very basic level), and having a good general knowledge for my age- because I'd had good parenting. It's the kids whose parents always leave their child's education 100% to the school that suffer- parents need to play an active role in their child's learning too.

I don't think it matters one jot or iota in all honesty when a child is born.

The only reason people say that about summer born babies is because they are always amongst the youngest in their school year. In some ways it does seem crazy that some kids are 5 in September and some aren't five until nearly a year later the following August, but that they will start school in the same school year. However, most primary schools cope well with this and they adjust education to suit the level your child works at, not necessarily the age they are. By the time kids get to secondary school the age difference no longer really shows as they all find their own level anyway. Good luck with TTC, and if it were me, I wouldn't worry about having a break, just go for it. x

I wouldn't bother, my son was born in August and did very well at school. I always think that these statistics should be taken with a pinch of salt because they don't take into account things like parental input, upbringing and how schooling varies from place to place.

You may not conceive in the next couple of months anyway, these things can rarely be planned like that.

i think that myth is rubbish my daughter was due aug 31st 07 so she would have been the youngest in that year had she come on the 31st so everyone would presume she would be behind in school?

she was born on the 3 sept 07 which makes her the eldest in the year now and she is very bright for her age and she would have been had she been born 3 days earlier! dont worry about it hun you go for it all the best and baby dust x

• Suze

As you say, you are a little older and therefore the chances are that it's going to take you longer to get pregnant. I really don't think you should be delaying conceiving for such a reason.

Buy yourself some ovulation predictor tests and some lubricant called Pre-Seed. These will both help you to get pregnant.

def not true! i actually remember at school the clever kids were born in the summer (coz we were all on holiday during their birthday so no pranks! lol) plus, how can your birthday determine how smart you are? i was born in august and left school with all my highers and standard grades! it depends on the childs upbringing and mental capabilities, and no matter what month they are born in, it will be the same!

best of luck with trying to conceive! hope all goes well!

36 weeks with baby #1 xx

• Im a June baby and I did AWESOME in school. I also have 2 other sisters born in June who were both sterling scholars. My sister born in February did the least well in school.. Thats just a myth.... Good luck

To be honest hun... I think that is a load of rubbish!

How can what month of the year your born determine how intelligent you will be!

I think you should continue TTC... Try using preseed and using OPKs to determine whether or not ovulation has occured!

Good luck xx

I remember going to school with a girl who's birthday was in August and she was very intelligent and left school with 9 GCSE's.

what a load of rubbish, how can when you are born determine how well you do at school?

Don't believe these sort of things hun x

Source(s): TTC#1