Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 1 decade ago

Why if your height is more then your hand span is more?

I recently did an experiment at school and it showed that the taller you were the higher your hand span and foot size why is this? It seems an easy question but I really don't know thanks alot

Update:

I mean why is it in proportion

3 Answers

Relevance
  • tjs282
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

A person's height is primarily related to the growth of the long bones in their legs, and long bones grow from the middle outwards. The degree of growth is influenced by genetic predisposition and nutrition (i.e. environment), both of which factors act on the developing organism as a whole.

Since the tarsal and carpal bones in hands and feet are also 'long bones' (i.e. similar in structure if not size to the long bones of the arms and legs) their development is likely to be influenced in a similar way by those same genetic and environmental factors. Hence, people with long legs/arms are also likely to develop long hands/feet.

Vertebrae follow a different development pattern, so height is less influenced by torso length than leg length. I suspect that, if you had measured torso length as well, you would have found less variation within your sample group, i.e. there would have been a less good correlation between torso length and hand/foot size (this might be an interesting follow-up experiment to suggest to your teacher, if you can figure out a way of measuring torso length without anyone getting offended/the giggles).

Source(s): A-level biology, undergrad-level biochem.
  • 5 years ago

If you take into account yourself “short” by society criteria and really bothering afterward you you'll need a modify, an alteration that you will find here, https://tr.im/BGPQ4 .

Grow Taller 4 Idiots is an incredible guide that you will allow you to grow taller by releasing the HGH hormone, no matter how old you are.

The HGH, the Human Growth Hormone is really a hormone that may you find normally in the human body. Kids and girls that are teenagers have a greater level of HGH in their bodies when compared with older people. As you grow up, the amount of HGH starts to fall rapidly.

HGH is responsible for height grow, developing muscles and also losing fat and this book may teach you how to do to produce it in your body.

• 1 decade ago

I think it was Da Vinci who found that the human body was in proportion to some degree, its that famous picture with the man who appears to have 4 arms and 4 legs. Basically in order for your body to remain in proportion if one thing increase so must the others.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.