Repost - Help for an 11 month old.?

My son is 11 months old, and ever since he was 3 days old, he has always sucked his left index finger as a comfort. It was never really a problem until now.. He has 11 teeth, and has actually bitten his finger to the point of bleeding, he also has a large blister on his lip from the constant sucking at... show more My son is 11 months old, and ever since he was 3 days old, he has always sucked his left index finger as a comfort.
It was never really a problem until now..
He has 11 teeth, and has actually bitten his finger to the point of bleeding, he also has a large blister on his lip from the constant sucking at night..

Now, we did try to put socks on his hands, and this worked for a while, he didn't even seem to care that he couldn't suck his finger, but yesterday he figured out how to take the socks off with his teeth, so now that is not working..

We have even tried adding onion juice to his finger, but he loved this, and in fact he has begun to do it more..

What can we do? Is there any suggestions?

He won't take pacifiers, and telling him no just makes him more determined.

I posted this before, but no one really seemed to see the problem.. He is getting blisters AND biting his finger so hard it bleeds.. He doesn't even seem to care, until feeding time, in which the blister on his mouth is too sore to eat.

Right now, we have him swaddled tightly, with his arms tucked in, so he cannot but his hands near his mouth, but it will be a matter of time before he figures this out. Please help.
Update: He has been fully weaned from bottles for over a month now.
12 answers 12