Jehovah's Witnesses, can you explain the changes in the Awake...?

...and in the change of the definition of the 1914 generation?

THIS QUESTION WAS REMOVED YESTERDAY.

The Awake forward after 1995

"Why Awake! is published".

Awake! is for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today's problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically neutral and does not exalt one race above another.

Most important, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things"

The Awake forward before 1995:

WHY "AWAKE!" IS PUBLISHED

AWAKE! is for the enlightenment of the entire family. It shows how to cope with today's problems. It reports the news, tells about people in many lands, examines religion and science. But it does more. It probes beneath the surface and points to the real meaning behind current events, yet it always stays politically nuetral and does not exalt one race over another.

Most importantly, this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away.

—AWAKE! 1/8/90

Can you JW's answer the question and not have it removed?

Update:

Edit Dan, IDK. It's on my profile.

Update 2:

EDIT ROD: So go to another question. Who cares what you think.

Update 3:

EDIT BAR..whatever: So as a JW you don't know the answers to why these canges were made? Do you just blindly follow what the Society says with no research, no explanation.

OK, than I would ask you if you believe the change is the Truth and why?

What did Paul commend the Boreans for doing? Do you do that?

As far as removal, I do not know for sure, but whenever I post something like this exposing the JWs simply by asking questions they refuse to answer it gets removed.

It's a logical assumption.

Answer the question.

Update 4:

...and no, there was some rambling by a JW, but it never answered the question.

Update 5:

EDIT CACTUS: I've read the explanation. It sounds as plausable as the many explantions for the pre 1995 definition.

Update 6:

The Watchtower 2/15/86 pg 5:

The 1914 Generation

Referring to “the relatively peaceful and prosperous Victorian age of Great Britain,” former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan said that he considered ‘the world he was born in’ to be one that would get “better and better.” But “suddenly, unexpectedly, one morning in 1914 the whole thing came to an end.” Calling it the end of “100 years of peace and progress,” Macmillan recalled how World War I signaled “the end of an era” and the “start of the confusion that is still happening.” Many others, particularly those who lived through 1914 and are still alive, know this to be true.

Yes, as this magazine has drawn to the attention of its readers over the years, the evidence points to the 1914 generation as the generation spoken of by Jesus. Thus, “this generation will by no means pass away until all these things [including the apocalypse] occur.”

Update 7:

Continued:

Even though more than 70 years have gone by since 1914, there are still individuals around who lived through that era. According to The American Legion Magazine for December 1984, in the United States some 272,000 World War I veterans are still alive, and it is similar in other lands. Nevertheless, the number is diminishing quite rapidly. So how long will it be until the last World War I veteran marches into history?

While this statistic may draw our attention to the final hours of the 1914 generation, how specific can we be regarding the exact time of the apocalypse?

“A Thief in the Night”

The Bible forewarns: “As for the times and the seasons, . . . you yourselves know quite well that Jehovah’s day is coming exactly as a thief in the night.” (1 Thessalonians 5:1, 2) Would you reasonably expect a thief to send a telegram announcing when he is planning to burglarize your home?

Update 8:

So, the above article from the 1986 Watchtower goes on to logically explain why the 1914 gen would not pass away before Armageddon came.

Gee, so was the 1986 Watchtower wrong or is the one you quote below wrong?

Will this change?

Update 9:

EDIT BMORE: So, did I find a fault here? Can you explain your literature?

Update 10:

EDIT KILROY: So what? Are they teaching the Watchtower false prophesies?

You simply insult me and do not answer the questions about your lying literature.

Typica; Jo Ho response.

Update 11:

EDIT FIGLEAF:Again, you simply insult me and do not answer the questions about your lying literature.

Typica; Jo Ho response.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

The ORG. has to keep a tight reign on their sheeple. Death is around the corner if you do not obey. Problem is they have to adjust the corner.

they call this "former Truths" that phrase makes all us thinking folk laugh until we pee ourselves. Would be funny if it wasn't so damn pathetically sad.

Jehovah's Witnesses and Mental Health

mental healthPlease understand that this article is not mean as a put-down of the Jehovah's Witnesses. I am simply displaying research information which raises serious questions about the Watchtower Organization.

It has always been a belief of mine that cult groups put an excessive burden of legalism upon their adherents -- this is because they do not have a proper understanding of grace due to their lack of understanding of who God is and what He has done for us. Often these aberrant groups require substantial commitments of time and energy from their membership in order to maintain a good standing in the group. Since cults are typically short on grace and long on law (mixed with group obligations, guilt-inducing teachings, and isolationism), I have always assumed that this unnecessary difficulty would lead to emotional and mental problems.

A few years ago, I heard of an article in a mental health journal that documented the population percentages of Jehovah's Witnesses in mental wards. It took some effort, but I found it. Following are excerpts from that article. Judge for yourself if the Jehovah's Witness organization contributed to the demise of some of its members.

(The following quotes are taken from the British Journal of Psychiatry: the Journal of Mental Science. Published by authority of The Royal College of Psychiatrists, Vol. 126, Ashford, Kent, Headley Brothers LTD, 1975. The author is John Spencer.)

"During the period of 36 months from January 1971 to December 1973 there were 7,546 inpatient admissions to the West Australian Mental Health Service Psychiatric Hospitals. Of these 50 were reported to be active members of the Jehovah's Witnesses movement" (p. 557).

"Of the 50 admitted 22 were diagnosed as schizophrenic, 17 as paranoid schizophrenic, 10 as neurotic and one as alcoholic" (p. 557-58).

Total admissions Annual rate per 1,000 population Jehovah's Witnesses admissions Annual rate per 1,000 population

All diagnoses 7,546 2.54 50 4.17

Schizophrenia (295) 1,826 .61 22 1.83

Paranoid schizophrenia (195.3) 1,154 .38 17 1.4

Neurosis (300) 1,182 .39 10 .76

"From the figures gathered in the Table it is clear that members of the Jehovah's Witnesses movement are over-represented in admissions to the Mental Health Services of this State. Furthermore, it is clear from the Table that the incidence of schizophrenia amongst them is about three times as high as for the rest of the general population, while the figure for paranoid schizophrenia is nearly four times that of the general population" (p. 558).

"The study does not shed light on the question of symptom or defense mechanism, but suggests that either the Jehovah's Witnesses sect tends to attract an excess of pre-psychotic individuals who may then break down, or else being a Jehovah's Witness is itself a stress which may precipitate a psychosis" (p. 558).

• 1 decade ago

The Watch Tower has showed a progressive retreat from the original published and preached version.

First it was taught that there would be people of the 1914 era that would be alive at Armageddon. These people had to be alive in 1914 and of the age to realize the events of 1914 were significant as they occurred.

-

So a person had to be about 13 - 17 years old in 1914 to see the events and the meaning of the events.

So now in 2009 a person would be 108 - 112 years old to meet that criteria.

_______

The Watch Tower changed the teaching, at least by word of mouth, preaching and teaching to be; 'a person born before 1914'.

-

This gave them another 15+/- years.

So a person today in 2009 this would be a minimum age of approximately 95 years.

Now elders and others that are followers of the Watch Tower gloss over 1914 Saying something like; "1914 it was an end of an era and it was World War 1 began and there has not been peace since".

-

Though the Watch Tower still uses or allows the rank and file to use the theological travesty that has no biblical backing that Jesus returned 'invisibly' and approved of the 'org' in 1914. This ignores what the bible really teaches which is, 'every eye will see His return'.

_______

Total Denial

Total denial by followers and even former followers of the Watch Tower about the setting of 1914.

1914 was set by Russell (Russell did the editing and writing).

1914 was changed to 1925 by Rutherford (Rutherford wrote most of it with a staff which included Franz).

Changed back to 1914 by Franz under Knorr (Franz did a lot of the writing but final editing was his for all work).

Franz under Knorr began the 587 vs 607 malarkey.

The 587/607 controversy is a smoke screen to the origin. 1914 was finally homogenized and justified by Franz the head theologian under two presidents then became president of the Watch Tower himself.

Russell's writing below:

1914 - "We find it to be 3457 inches, symbolizing 3457 years .. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble .." {TKIC 1916 ed}

Note: TKIC 1897 ed 342 stated ".. this measurement is 3416 inches, symbolizing 3416 years .. This calculation shows A.D. 1874 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble .."

[1874 had passed. Russell altered it to 1914.]

* TKIC C.T.Russell: Studies in the Scriptures III - Thy Kingdom Come

This was all laid out in The Divine Plan of the Ages (see links). Originally Study in Scriptures was named "Millennial Dawn"

_______

Watchtower Apocalyptic Infatuation

The Jehovah's Witnesses made sure in 1984 that no one else would be able to top their record of most wrong doomsday predictions. The Witnesses record is currently holding at nine. The years are: 1874, 1878, 1881, 1910, 1914, 1918, 1925, 1975, and 1984. Lately, the JW's are claiming they're out of the prediction business, but it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks. They'll be back.

• 1 decade ago

Please see this extract from the Watchtower last year about the generation. Why the forward was changed in the Awake? I don't know, as someone already answered it's best to write to the publishers.

The Generation Seeing the Sign

10 Previously, this journal has explained that in the first century, “this generation” mentioned at Matthew 24:34 meant “the contemporaneous generation of unbelieving Jews.” That explanation seemed reasonable because all other recorded uses that Jesus made of the term “generation” had a negative connotation, and in most cases, Jesus used a negative adjective, such as “wicked,” to describe the generation. (Matt. 12:39; 17:17; Mark 8:38) Thus, it was felt that in the modern-day fulfillment, Jesus was referring to the wicked “generation” of unbelievers who would see both the features that would characterize “the conclusion of the system of things” (syn·te′lei·a) and the system’s end (te′los).

11 It is true that when Jesus used the word “generation” negatively, he was speaking to or about the wicked people of his day. But was that necessarily true of his statement recorded at Matthew 24:34? Recall that four of Jesus’ disciples had approached him “privately.” (Matt. 24:3) Since Jesus did not use negative qualifiers when speaking to them about “this generation,” the apostles would no doubt have understood that they and their fellow disciples were to be part of the “generation” that would not pass away “until all these things [would] occur.”

12 On what basis may we draw that conclusion? By carefully considering the context. As recorded at Matthew 24:32, 33, Jesus said: “Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. Likewise also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near at the doors.” (Compare Mark 13:28-30; Luke 21:30-32.) Then, at Matthew 24:34, we read: “Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.”

13 Jesus said that it was his disciples, soon to be anointed with holy spirit, who should be able to draw certain conclusions when they saw “all these things” occur. So Jesus must have been referring to his disciples when he made the statement: “This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.”

14 Unlike unbelievers, Jesus’ disciples would not only see the sign but also understand its significance. They would “learn” from the features of that sign and “know” their true meaning. They would fully appreciate that “he is near at the doors.” While it is true that both unbelieving Jews and faithful anointed Christians saw a limited fulfillment of Jesus’ words in the first century, only his anointed followers back then could learn from these events—could understand the true meaning of what they saw.

15 Those without spiritual understanding today have felt that there has been no “striking observableness” with regard to the sign of Jesus’ presence. They reason that everything is continuing on as it did in the past. (2 Pet. 3:4) On the other hand, Christ’s faithful anointed brothers, the modern-day John class, have recognized this sign as if it were a flash of lightning and have understood its true meaning. As a class, these anointed ones make up the modern-day “generation” of contemporaries that will not pass away “until all these things occur.” This suggests that some who are Christ’s anointed brothers will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins.

Source(s): w08 2/15 pp. 23-24 Christ’s Presence—What Does It Mean to You?
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Hi There, I hope I could help you with all these questions that you raised but I would like to say that you should stop being like Thomas also known as “Doubting Thomas”. In the Holy Bible itself God said to stop doubting and start believing in Him. He even said, Do you believe because you see me? How happy are those who believe without seeing me!” (John 20: 29). For you information Christ has more than 308 names according to the Bible. The mystery of the Incarnation alone may leave us speechless; add to that Christ’s words of life, powerful miracles, and mighty works of salvation through the cross, resurrection, and ascension into glory. Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the Lord JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also become my salvation. (Isaiah 12:2) Jehovah – “The self-existent One who reveals Himself.” Into the wilderness of my lost way He comes to find me and lead me out. Into the desert of my barren life enters Jehovah and makes all the desert a garden. Into my death he brings His life and to my dead senses reveals Himself the One Eternal God. So… It doesn’t matter if we call ourselves as Jehovah Witness or Christians…Basically, we are all children of God and that’s what matters the most! And we know that the Son of God is come, and hath given us an understanding, that we may know him that is true; and we are in him that is true, even in his Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God, and eternal life. (1 John 5:20)

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Check out the 2008 statistics:

Total volunteer hours spent in public Bible educational work

Average weekly home Bible courses taught 7,133,760

Practicing members* 7,124,443

New members baptized 289,678

2008 Increase over 2007 2.1 percent

Congregations 103,267

* While other religious groups count their membership by occasional or annual attendance, this figure reflects only those who are ministers actively involved in the public Bible educational work.

Wow - think 7 million qualified ministers actively teaching bible truths - thats 20 times the number of catholic priests in the world today.

Fantastic!

Source(s): www.jw-media.org
  • You assume that Jehovah's Witnesses had it removed. That assumption may be incorrect, because Jehovah's Witnesses DID answer your question and would have no interest in having our answers removed.

As I said, and will repeat, ask the people who made the change. Write to the publishers of Awake! and ask them.

The matter of the generation was not changed, simply refined to reflect continuing research and understanding of the Bible terms used and their context, as well as how Jesus' prophecy is actually being fulfilled.

But if you want to know why a certain thing was done, the logical thing to do is to ask those who did it. Which would be the publishers of Awake! The address is on each copy of the magazine.

Source(s): The HOLY Bible
  • hunter
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I suggest you do a study of the -Cactus 12 - answer. Its pointless to ramble on,the answer you need is contained there. Failing that consult the AWAKE magazine producers,and results will no doubt be the same or similar.

NOTE.-- The answer I suggested is followed on the heels by her lowleyness,the JW hater.at the bottom now.

• Dan
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Ahh, why did you nix the car avatar...? Bummer.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Dude, no one cares about your incessant drivel!

• 1 decade ago

not sure y but it doesn't matter to me. it only matters to fault finders

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.