Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 1 decade ago

Why do some people think Singapore is a part of China?

It is incorrect

It maybe that Singapore has a high percentage of Chinese people living there and that Chinese is one of the major languages.

The odds are then people then confuse it with the likes of Hong Kong. A sepurate country but is part of China.

Maybe you can ask Gina more about it she is Singaporean I think.

If you see a number of thumbs down next to my answer it is because of the pro-Chinese troll and their numerous IDs setting up the question for vote rigging.

Is Singapore Part Of China

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

It is incorrect

Source(s): people singapore part china: https://biturl.im/wFLTu

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avVTL

Singapore is not part of China. Singapore is its own independent sovereign city-state with its own nationality and way of life. Chinese claiming Singapore is part of China could be down to 1) Nationalist feelings that it should be. 2) That it could be down to confusion, Hong Kong is another city-state, but it now belongs to the P.R of China so they find the same of Singapore. It also has a high population of Chinese ethnic groups and that Chinese (mandarin) is one of its official languages.

I think the thread starter wants to draw somebody's attention. Chinese never think Singapore is part of China. Singapore is more like a part of Malaysia!

• Dave

It seems children and young adults have not been taught geography. It's appalling what people don't know. I don't claim to be some expert but at least I have a good idea where things are.

People had to be told where Beijing was, even what country it was in.

This scares me.

America seems to be broken down into two classes. The first are the ones who thirst for knowledge and those who think they know enough. The gap seems to be widening.

Yes, its incorrect and I know quite a few Americans and others think of Singapore is a part of China. This thinking is not true like what u had mentioned in your question. I thinks its maybe because of the majority race in Singapore and Chinese, so they had such a confusion. They also considered Singapore as part of Greater China, this may also be one of the reason behind it. Yes, btw, what Putz said is right as younger Singaporean are not fluent in Mandarin than English, due to the fact its multi racial country unlike China itself.

Source(s): I'm Singaporean myself.

Many people have no knowledge of geography, or much else.

There are many Chinese living in Singapore, but I can't tell you why some people think anything.

• ?

At one time China Government controlled Singapore

The simple answer is, obviously, that the people who think that Singapore is part of China are misinformed.

If you are trying to make the point that foreigners are misinformed and ignorant, then your question is not very kind or tolerant and should be taken down.

Some of us foreigners have university educations, speak more than one language, and bother to inform ourselves about the countries in which we are guests.

Singapore wants to portrait itself to be closer to the west than to China. Many young Chinese Singaporeans nowadays can neither read nor write Chinese. I was told that many dont like the Mainland Chinese either.