Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Are Jehovah's Witnesses a brainwashed cult?

If that is so how come every Jehovah's Witnesses I know (& I now know lots of them) can explain what they believe , why they believe & show reason from the bible for those beliefs better than most Christians I have ever known ?

bmoviebimbo

Helloooooooooo where in my questin did I say JW's are not Christian ?????

Hi Lone Dissenter again,

Thank you for taking the time to submit an appeal. Upon review, we found the following question was not in violation of the Answers Community Guidelines:

"Are Jehovah's Witnesses a brainwashed cult?"

The Yahoo!7 Answers Team regrets that your question was wrongfully reported by the Answers community. Your question has been reposted to Yahoo!7 Answers, and we are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.

As a result of your appeal, the people who reported your question will have less influence when reporting abuse in the future.

Thanks,

Yahoo!7 Answers Team

Next time read the question before you report.

• grnlow
    Favorite Answer

Others assume we are brainwashed since they have no clue what the Bible says or what doctrines have God's approval.

The truth is that none of us become one of Jehovah's Witnesses by merely signing our name on a roll and giving some money. A chimpanzee could do that.

To become one of us requires coming to an accurate knowledge of the Bible on an individual basis. This involves learning the basic truths of the Bible by looking up the scriptures to find the truth yourself. We let the Bible explain itself by seeing what other scriptures shed light on what a passage means rather than just use our own guesses or what a clergy would tell us.

In all things, we must see the proof for a belief being according to the Bible before we accept it. This is entirely different from Christendom's religions. They are told what to believe by their clergy--a person of authority. They are not encouraged to look things up themselves. They are not encouraged to question or if they do have questions to never look to the Bible for the answer(s).

In terms of brainwashing, these are the best candidates for the process. Instead of having a thorough understanding of what they believe as Jehovah's Witnesses do, they are used to getting their orders from someone in authority. The North Korean method uses this, as do most methods of brainwashing. I was curious about the subject so I researched it.

My brain has been washed clean of the wild beast(governments), the Harlot(false religion), immortal soul, a fiery hell, & wickedness.

I fight every day to keep my brain clean form what the world does, lie,cheat,steal,cuss,immoral,& lord it over the weak. I love trying to be kind to all.

I absolutely love being brainwashed with the word of Jehovah, please never stop.

I couln't find my script, so I just winged it, I think puzzeled was refering to the Bible when he said script??

I think that one would look at the teachings rather then those that are fellow listeners, isn't that judging a man by his cloths??

I've been a Witness most of my life, I sure would like to know what these ex Jehovah's Witnesses think they know. NOT REALLY, I was just saying I have never seen such things.

Jehovah witnesses are a cult and are not christians. And maybe you don't know that many christians.

• Kevin

Someone kept asking questions about the trinity now I can't believe in it. Here are some of their questions that made me think. I don't know if this person washed my brain or if it was already washed, but I know it's washed now. There is no way I could possibly believe in the trinity now.

God can't sit at his own right side.

He wouldn't pray to himself.

He wouldn't say he is doing the will of the one that sent him.

He would know the day and hour that God was going to start Armageddon.

He wouldn't say he has forsaken himself.

He wouldn't say "this is my son, the one I have approved.

When he died, who was it that resurrected him.

The Bible says that God exalted Jesus but why would he exalt himself?

Jesus said God was greater than he.

Jesus never asked for anyone to worship him.

If God prays how can he be God?

If Jesus is God why did he have to get baptized?

If Jesus is God , in who's name was he baptized in?

How did Jesus receive the Holy Spirit if he is also God & the Holy Spirit ?

If Jesus is God who was it that he prayed too to save him from death? Himself? Hebrews 5:7

Did everyone that saw Jesus die? (Exodus 33:20) . . .“You are not able to see my face, because no man may see me and yet live.”

And God is not a God of confusion?

Because Jesus is not God. Isn't it amazing how easily the Bible refutes some teachings when they have no Biblical basis? Why did Jesus recieve a 'superior' posistion from the Father if he was God? (Phil. 2:9) If the Trinity means 'co-equal' and 'co-eternal' this would imply that God, Christ and the Holy Spirit were ALL co-equal....up until this scripture. Now, according to this scripture Jesus has a 'superior' position........more superior to the one he had BEFORE it was 'given' to him. So if the Bible AND the Trinity are both true, this would mean that Jesus is now HIGHER in posistion in the Trinity than the Father and Holy Spirit - since before this scripture they were ALL 'co-equal'. How could this be possible? Apparently either the Bible is wrong or the Trinity doctrine is wrong....I wonder which one?

But it does seem you folks resist higher education when I am convinced you are capable of attaining it. You see, God is the author of both scripture and REASON. My experience has been you seem to be taught simply to ignore any reasoning processes (closed mindset). What do you really have to lose by acquiring a BA degree including courses in philosophy? Folks with these degrees will tend to see many of your arguments as superficial. You need to compete on their level in acquiring the truth since the Bible can be interpreted in more than one way. In other words, Catholics agree with every word in scripture without exception. Scripture is also very important to them. For instance, the Father ALONE is the one and only true God despite the belief in the existence of the Trinity and Divinity of Jesus. We do not ignore or reject any scripture verses.

Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT a cult and anyone who has actually done any kind of research concerning Jehovah's Witnesses knows this. People who oppose Jehovah's Witnesses like to use the word 'cult' because this word has a general negative connotation. They are counting on people who are not familiar with Jehovah's Witnesses to simply accept this false label and then ignorantly repeat what they have been told.

The following shows how this label is completely untrue:

Cults are regarded as being small, local groups. In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses currently number over 7,ooo,ooo and can be found in almost every country of the world.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/

The World Headquarters of Jehovah's Witnesses is in New York. Located there is the Governing Body, a central group of experienced elders who oversee the worldwide congregation.

Jehovah's Witnesses - Their Worldwide Organization and Work

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/good-news-...

--------------------------------------.…

Cults are also regarded as encouraging their adherents to live in groups apart from the rest of society. Many also think of cults as being secretive about their activities or having something to hide.

In contrast, Jehovah's Witnesses live and work in the midst of other people. They have nothing to hide. In fact, they desire to tell anyone who is willing to listen about everything that they believe.

Their book Jehovah's Witnesses—Proclaimers of God's Kingdom correctly notes: "Jehovah's Witnesses are in no sense a secret society. Their Bible-based beliefs are fully explained in publications that are available to anyone. Additionally, they put forth special effort to invite the public to attend meetings to see and hear for themselves what takes place."

Cult members are also associated with following living human leaders.

Yet Jehovah's Witnesses do not look to any human, but rather to Jesus Christ, as their leader. Jehovah’s Witnesses follow what Jesus taught and put it into practice:

See: "Who is Jesus Christ?"

That is what it means to be a Christian. Accordingly, Jehovah’s Witnesses strive to adhere strictly to the precepts established by the first Christians.

Jehovah's Witnesses base all of their beliefs, their standards for conduct, and organizational procedures on the Bible. Their worship is a way of life, not a ritual devotion.

Rather than relying solely on hearsay and running the risk of parroting bad information, Jehovah's Witnesses encourage people to investigate this further FOR THEMSELVES. This way, one will be in a position to be properly informed as to the true faith and beliefs of Jehovah's Witnesses.

The best way to find out more about Jehovah's Witnesses via the Internet is through the pages of their official website:

Jehovah’s Witnesses—What Do They Believe?

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20100...

Recommended Related Articles:

Are Jehovah’s Witnesses a Cult?

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/are-je...

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Really a Cult? - Showing How This Label is Incorrect

http://defendingjehovahswitnesses.blogspot.com/201...

Sure, we're brainwashed!! Here's your soap, Lone!

Just because a brainwashed cult can explain what they believe does not make them correct

bad question start over

In my case, if I'm brainwashed, I went looking for my brainwashers. The absurdities and inconsistencies of Christendom drove me to my brainwashers. (Now an example of brainwashing, in my estimation, is belief in the trinity against all logic, common sense, and evidence to the contrary. Now that's what you call brainwashing)

I personally have never experienced the following:

One online dictionary definition of brainwashing

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/brainwa...

brainwashing

Systematic effort to destroy an individual's former loyalties and beliefs and to substitute loyalty to a new ideology or power. It has been used by religious cults as well as by radical political groups. The techniques of brainwashing usually involve isolation from former associates and sources of information; an exacting regimen calling for absolute obedience and humility; strong social pressures and rewards for cooperation; physical and psychological punishments for noncooperation, including social ostracism and criticism, deprivation of food, sleep, and social contacts, bondage, and torture; and constant reinforcement. Its effects are sometimes reversed through deprogramming, which combines confrontation and intensive psychotherapy.

What does the Watch Tower really teach?

Hope of everlasting life on planet earth.

Fear of being destroyed in battle of Armageddon. This is a very real fear. Such a fate awaits anyone who is not counted among JW's.

Jesus returned invisibly in 1914 and approved of the organization.

The spirit filled legal instrument and publishing corporation speaks for God.