Yahoo Answers is shutting down on 4 May 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Lauren asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

If a rabbit hutch is kept on the grass, will the rabbit burrow out?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

you should not keep your rabbit hutch on the ground other animals will find a way in and kill your rabbit.it should be at least 3 feet off the ground.

Source(s): rabbit breeder of 12 years
  • 1 decade ago

It may. You should definitely keep an eye on it. Usually rabbits like to burrow on bare dirt and not so much on grass, burrowing is also their natural instinct. Rabbits can also go along time without burrowing but decide to do so spontaneously (my rabbit nearly got out that way). I would recommend a hutch with a solid floor as this is easier to keep clean and dry (important for hygiene), if your hutch is a 2 level one and the bottom level is on the grass then you should monitor it, the same goes for rabbit enclosures. If you cannot constantly monitor you pet nor buy another hutch then you could insert ~30cm wide strips of plastic or metal (found in hardware and DIY stores) along the perimeter of the cage into the ground with a small lip above the grass. This will create a sort of extension of the cage into the ground (the lip of plastic/metal should touch the perimeter of the outside of the cage), so if your rabbit decides to make a break for freedom it would meet an underground wall leaving you time to discover what he's up to.

Source(s): owner of a failed escapee of a bunny
  • Nancy
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I would recommend getting them done. It may well remove some instinct to burrow, unspayed females still possess urges to nest and that will make them think that a burrow is the best place for it! I would be concerned about them making the ground above unstable, or at least figuring out when you want to get them back in the hutch and refusing to come out until it's dark! And of course leaving them out equals likely to be eaten by night time predators. For burrowers it's better to build a secure run, put some welded mesh along the bottom of it (rabbits can chew through chicken wire) and some turf on top - burrower proof!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Rabbit Burrow

• Laura
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

A rabbit hutch should not be on the grass, a rabbit run should.

The hutch is where they live all the time and needs to be at least a foot from the ground. It needs a wooden floor as well. The hutch needs to keep the bunny warm at night and in the winter which a hutch on the grass is not going to do.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do you mean a run or a hutch?

A hutch is a wooden cage structure where your rabbit spends most of its time. It should be 3 feet off the ground with a wooden bottom. Your rabbit can't tunnel through wood even if it is in grass.

A RUN however is a pen for your rabbit to exercise in.

If you put wire mesh on the bottom your rabbit won't tunnel out

(make sure the holes in the wire are smaller than your rabbit. When one of mine was 2 months old he squirmed through one of the gaps in the sides cause we didn't realise how the holes were large enough for him to wriggle through.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Bunny Burrow

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

it shouldnt. but you really should NOT keep it on the ground. you dont know what types of bugs could harm him/her. make sure there is NO wire. it will hurt his feet. and if you using bedding for a litter pan or whatever dont use pine or cedar or any wood shavings, theycan harm his respiratory system (lungs etc) use carefresh, they have it at petsmart petco and wal mart...

good luck! and make sure your rabbit has at least 1 hr to run in a room, outside(if its fenced and you dont use chemicals) or anywhere else away from all animals (ussually cats are ok but not dogs) remember, he is not a wild rabbit so dnt think "if he was in the wild____) because he IS a house pet and does not totally have the traits of a wild rabbit but he does have some traits such as digging. but the way he is bred, he is not realyl supposed to be exposed to chemicals and fertilizers. plus, if it rain and you cant get home he make drown or get very stressed from being wet and die):

just giving some hints that i had to learn from experience. which is not good. we had a bunny pass away from not knowing all the ins and outs.

good luck and God bless! (:

• 1 decade ago

It depends, if there is wire on the bottom then no but if it's wireless then don't put the bunny in as he'll dig out or a fox will dig in

Source(s): I own Rabbits and guinea pigs
  • 1 decade ago

most likely.

all of mine have done this so we had to put wire on the bottom of the cage.

goodluck :)

xx

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.