I would like to know about Russian alcohol "spirt." Is it similar to vodka?

I heard that "spirt" is grain alcohol or diluted medical alcohol. Is it neat alcohol? Is it expensive? Or is "spirt" a kind of vodka?

SPIRT (you spelled correct), not spirits or other versions of the word, in Russian means alcohol of 96% or 192 prof. It is like Everclear in the US which is just 190 prof. Sometimes, Russians use the term 'medical spirt' that means it is safe for consuming.

Usually spirt is diluted with water to have it weaker. However, the taste is a bit different from vodka. Spirt can be consumed without adding water. It is very strong and dangerous if you are not trained how to consume it.

Spirt differs from Vodka. A classical vodka is 80 prof or 40% that means it contains only 40% of the spirt or pure alcohol. However, vodka may have some additives for flavor, etc. Russians do not use 'prof' or '%'. They say vodka of 40 DEGREES or vine of 16 degrees, that accordingly means 40% or 80 prof, or 16% or 32 prof.

Source(s): My own experience.

Basically what it is is the results of the distillation of the grain without is being diluted to normal sale strength.

All spirits come out of the still at a much higher alcohol content than they are normally bottled at, though this is sometimes sold as an over strength version of the same drink (Bacardi 151 or Stroh 160 for instance, or a cask strength whiskey)

There is a Polish vodka called Spirytus, at 96 or 96.5% alcohol. Even my Polish friends do not drink it neat.

Russian spirit,Polish spirit are similar to vodka but MUCH stronger.I sold Polish spirit in a pub that i owned and it affected the vocal cords of my customers not to mention their brains.

it is insane in the membrane, its way stronger than vodka, and it is really good

drink one for REX