Don't you think it's odd that General McChrystal (Afghanistan) says he's only spoken to the Prez once!?

In the 60 minutes interview on Sunday night, Gen. McChrystal was asked how often he speaks with the Prez. He said only once!! Don't you find that odd? BO is sending American soldiers who are risking their lives every day and he's only spoken to his handpicked General once? I would expect them to talk at least weekly.

I find this very troubling.

renclrk- good point. I hope your leader is supporting your troops better than ours.

calderon- the Prez doesn't have time to talk with the General of his war but he has time to promote the Chgo olympics. Strange priorities indeed!

apart from community organising ....what did you expect, he had never saluted in his life and had to learn that art ..he has no interest in war,or the military - he is an academic, a reader of" how the world should work"

and sorry...I hope he wakes up, and supports those troops

we have Australians fighting alongside, with a a fair few other countries

that never rate a mention

President Lincoln went through generals like a poor gambler goes through money. If Obama can find a general that agrees with him, than McChrystal should be replaced. If the generals basically agree with McChrystal then McChrystal should be running the show.

• CB

Not even a little bit.

Look, I'm a conservative so I'm not a big fan of Obama, at all. But the man's got more than a few things on his plate right now. It would be IMPOSSIBLE for him to communicate on a regular basis with people at all levels of the government.

Obama is NOT in charge of the day to day operations of the military anymore than he's in charge of the day to day operations of any other level of government. He has people in charge of those areas who report to him. Do you really expect that Obama should have a working knowledge of military tactics and stratagem? That's what the military command is for (Joint Chiefs of Staff). These are the people Obama will be in more regular contact with.

• Odd isn't the word. Negligent, irresponsible or treasonous might be more apt. You've got men and women fighting and dying over there and he'd rather fly off to Europe to talk about the Olympics than provide our soldiers and Marines with the support that they need and that their commanders are asking for. Folks take more interest in what they flush down the toilet than this president takes in our military. Oh, he talks. He always talks and ain't that purdy talk. But it is what he DOES that tells the tale and this no game loser isn't doing anything.

As things heat up and are becoming so volatile over there, Obama should be talking to his military commanders almost on a daily basis. Even Bush talked to his commanders at least once a week.

Just goes to show where his priorities are. He seems more interested in bringing the Olympics to Chicago, and a failed health care plan than supporting the American Solider.I personally have lost a lot of respect for Obama.

Be serious. How can expect Dear Leader to sit down face-to-face with his leading General to discuss our Troops in harms way AND meet face-to-face with Oprah to discuss the Olympics in Chicago? Priorities ... it's all about priorities.

• Chels

I thought it was odd that Obama was totally scooting around questions about the afghan situation but then when this story came out I was like wow that makes sense now but it is so ridiculous.

Barack has had his hands full with Republicans revolting over Environmental regulation and Healthcare regulation in case you haven't noticed!

Barack is smart enough not to try to backseat drive a war, and let the Generals do their job. Rummie was in charge of Iraq - think Bush talked to the Generals a lot? I HIGHLY doubt it.

Source(s): As well as the pullout from Iran. Afganistan got 17,000 (!!!) more soldiers since Obama started - you think he didn't appreciate that?

I would assume that the Secretary of Defense is the one who speaks directly to the General, who in turn, keeps the president updated. That's how it works.