How do you make your kids to drink water?

I have a 2 year old daughter....when she was over a year old,she used to drink water but not very often...and now,she dont like to drink water anymore..what she like to drink is milk and coke!! but since she dont drink water...I tried to give her more milk than of the coke...but I'm still trying to give her water but she would just pour it on to the sink..even if I ask her to drink it...she still would say no...

Thanks in advance and God Bless!!!

Favorite Answer

Don't give her anything but milk or water. She'll warm up to it, my daughter took a couple of weeks. Try ice water, shaped cubes are always a hit!

If you are seriously giving your kid Coca Cola, stop right now. My teeth are permanently damaged from my parents letting me drink Coke too much when I was a kid. The sugary carbonation ate away my enamel. For over 15 years I have been flossing twice daily and brushing at least 2 times a day. I have had 4 root canals and am in the process of getting an implant. This is no joke and a horrible thing to do to your child. My parents were ignorant, but now you know what happens!

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but what I would do is figure out how much milk she needs, give her that amount and any other time she is thirsty offer her water. If she doesn't drink the water say "ok, I guess you are not thirsty" and wait until she asks again and then offer her water again. Eventually she will get thirsty enough that she will drink it. I really don't think she will dehydrate herself enough to do any harm. And I would never let her drink coke unless say it is a special occassion and you are out at a restaurant and want to give her a SIP of yours. Coke really has no nutritional value, but it sounds like you already know that since you are trying to restrict it, so I won't say anymore about that. Good luck; if you keep trying she will eventually drink it (maybe not love it, but she will drink it).

Also you could try to trick her by filling the cup almost up with water and then let her watch you pour milk into it.

Throw out all the coke. Children shouldn't have coke or any type of soda at this age. It just starts them on bad habits.

The only options of drinks you should have for her are milk or water. When she's thirsty, she'll drink it. Trust me.

Just put it in a sippy cup and carry it around the house or wherever you go during the day.

Good luck!

• Abby

Try letting her add food coloring to it and drinking her favorite color. Try giving her a glass of half milk, half water or half apple juice, half water. I'd also suggest not keeping coke in the house. Also, drink water in front of her. Kids like to imitate their parents. In fact, drink it as the adult drink and tell her she is not old enought to have any and maybe she'll start to want it. Abby

Why are you giving your kid coke?

Just stop buying it. You're the parent and soda is just junk. Why would you let your child drink all those chemicals.

If she'll only drink milk, so be it. Offer her water when she's thirsty and see if she'll actually drink it. But coke? NO.

they did a study, little children who were given a choice of healthy diet would chose what they needed. (healthy doesn't include pop :) )

Pop should be a once in a while treat for small children. Once in a while being once a week. And a small amount. They are growing so fast that they need good quality food to grow on. They also get cavities faster then adults, so need less sugar, or you'll have big dentist bills.

You're the mom. You only offer her what you want her to have. If you say no to the pop, when she gets thirsty she'll drink what is available.

your daughter only has the options that you give her. if water is her only option and she is thirsty then she will drink it. my son gets the daily recommended 3 cups of milk and one cup of juice a day and during the times in between meal times and snack I keep a sippy cup of ice water ready for him and he'll usually take 2 full cups every day now. when I first started to give him water he would get a mouth full and just open up to let it all pour out but now that he's used to his choices (either water or nothing) he'll drink it up. hope this helps.

you need to be firm and tell her little kids do not drink coke. my 5 almost 6 years old son is not allowed to drink soft drinks. only water apple juice and milk. you need to establish some ground rules with your daughter and let her know who is boss.

well if she wanted vodka would just give in? you have to put your big girl panties on and be a mom. I say milk at meals and water in between. if shes thirtsy enough she will drink the water... who gives ther 2 year old coke?

my daughter will be 4 in march and she just started to drink water. she has never liked water when younger. but good luck. i don't know what to tell you. see if she will drink like apple juice or something like that. and put 1/2 and 1/2 water and half juice.

Source(s): mother of a 3 1/2 year old