im a gay teen and i was wondering if its a good idea to meet guys online for dating?

I wouldn't say it's the best idea, but I don't believe the stigma of "online bad" that so many people are still so blinded by. There ARE some bad people on the internet who may attempt to take advantage of you (especially if you are not yet an adult), so you need to be extra careful.

If you intend to meet anyone in person from the internet, make sure it's in a safe, public environment, and even bring someone with you for the first couple of meetings if at all possible.. It is NEVER a good idea to meet people online for sexual activities.. Though I don't think you are referring to such things anyway. Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck and hope you end up meeting someone nice. :D

Do NOT meet someone you meet online... Do you not get MSNBC up there in Canada? "To Catch a Predator"? Talk on the PHONE first... For months... Then POSSIBLY meet him in the real world... And make sure you do it with PARENTS or a "Safe Call" at the very least... A "Safe Call" is when you tell a friend exactly what you are doing and where you are going and if you do not call them at a pre determined time, they call the cops... No Safe Call = No Date P E R I O D If you decide to meet in the real world... ONLY do so in a GROUP. DO NOT MEET THIS PERSON ONE ON ONE! You never know what you are REALLY talking to... The chances are not 100% that this guy isn't what he says he is but still... Why take the chance? Every single person that has been raped, abducted, whatever... EACH AND EVERY ONE SAID "I'm OK... Something like that would never happen to me..." Then they find their body a week later... Don't be stupid... The news is FULL of stories that start exactly like yours... I have a VERY good friend that I have only met in the real world TWICE... We spoke online and on the phone for YEARS before we met... So I understand what you are talking about but PLEASE be safe... Better safe then sorry... Just think about what your mom would go through if you are wrong and this is really a guy that abducts you... How horrible would it be for your loved ones when they find your body?

You learn more about people in person. So stick to that. Since you are younger you really need the social skills that come from person to person contact. These will benefit you throughout life if you learn them when you are young. If you can find a support group for gay teenagers in your area this would really be a benefit. There you can meet other gay teenagers and get some tips on issues like coming out, dating,etc. Most of them host things like a gay teen prom or other socials.

Source(s): Try here for some other gay teen help, PFLAG.org

There is only a small possibility that dating online will give you a good foundation for a future relationship. If it's just for friends, then it's fine. But if it's not, take charge of yourself. Be responsible enough in any thing that you are to do.

Well just like anyone else you have to be careful, but just because your gay doesn't exclude you from the online dating atmosphere. Go ahead and have fun! Just be careful because there are a lot of weird people out there.

• reme_1

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

It's not safe and they can lie to you until the cows come home.

Check in with athe gay center, the gay hot line , and pflag.org and see whre the young mens groups are. Meet guys in person and stay close to your age range. Be safe. Play safe. HUGS

• Aurora

no, not a good idea, you are under age anyway and if you fake your age you will get matched up with a older guy...so not such a good idea.

i know it must be hard to find someone of course, being a gay teen, but you are just a teen it may be hard but it will get easier when you are older.

*bisexual*

Personally, no. Online dating is deceiving and you can't trust it much.

1) You don't really know the person, but only what they tell you.

2) After you meet the person, he/she may not look like what you expected.

Yes but if you decide to meet make sure its in a public place

umm im a gay teen too tried it and no didn't work out.

theres no one gay my age on those sites that live near me

i am just ganna have to wait till im older.