What meals do you prepare each week?

It's just my husband and I and we never know what to eat for dinner.

What do you prepare each day of the week? We are going to start listing out 7 options for the week and buying groceries for those meals that way we always have meals we can eat. We usually eat mac n cheese, spaghetti, tuna helper, hamburger, helper, easy stuff b/c I'm not a great cook. Also I want it to be easy to make and cheap. Any suggestions? What do you prepare each day?

Update:

We also eat hot dogs and cook hamburgers on the george forman.

We don't have a grill yet but hope to get one for Christmas.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

This week we had the following. I like super quick easy dishes. Email me if you have any questions about the recipes below.

Mon - Tomato Basil Chicken

Tues - Salsa Beef Skillet

Wed - Chicken Pot Pie

Thurs - leftover night

Fri - Taco Soup (my husbands favorite)

Sat - Crispy Oven Cod - Oven Fries and Coleslaw

Tomato Basil Chicken

Using the gravy makes kind of an unusual pasta sauce but it’s very good as well as very easy.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded out slightly so they aren’t real thick

2 Tbls flour

½ tsp oregano

½ tsp basil

1 Tbls olive oil

1 can chicken gravy

1 can diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning

2 tsp basil

½ tsp garlic

2 Tbls Parmesan cheese

4 cps cooked Angelhair pasta

Get water on to cook the pasta. Put the pasta in when it boils, cook as directed on package till done. Drain and toss with just a tsp or so of oil to keep it from getting sticky.

Put flour in a shallow dish. Trim any fat from the chicken and dredge it in the flour. Heat the oil in a lrg skillet, place chicken in the hot oil. Sprinkle with the herbs and cook until done, 15-20 min. Remove and keep warm.

Add gravy, tomatoes, basil, and garlic. Heat on med temp to boiling, cook over low heat 5 min. Stir in the cheese. Serve with chicken over pasta.

Salsa Beef Skillet

1 lb hamburger

1 can diced tomatoes (NOT drained)

1 pkg taco seasoning

½ cp water

½ cp salsa

1 cp frozen corn or 1 sm can corn (drained)

1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)

¼ cp chopped green onion

1 pkg Kraft Deluxe Macaroni n Cheese – prepared as directed on package

Brown meat in a large skillet, drain. Return to skillet.

Stir in the whole can of diced tomatoes, juice and all. Add the taco seasoning and water, stir till well blended. Add the salsa and corn. Put the beans in a colander and run water over them to rinse them and stir them in as well.

Finally stir in the prepared mac and cheese and simmer for 5-10 min. Top with green onions and serve.

Chicken Pot Pie

We love this one. It doesn’t take any time to throw together and it’s delicious. Be sure to read the note at the end or the crust may not turn out well.

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into chunks

¾ cp frozen whole kernal corn

½ can green beans

¾ cp frozen sliced carrots

¼ cp frozen peas

1 jar Heinz Chicken Gravy

1 ¾ cp Bisquick

1 egg

2/3 cp milk

Preheat the oven to 375*

Spray a hot skillet with cooking spray and add the chicken chunks. Cover and cook on med heat 5 min, toss the pieces, cover and cook another 3-5 min or until browned and cooked thru.

In a med bowl stir together the chicken chunks, corn, green beans, carrots and gravy. Set aside. 2 – 2 ½ cps of any fresh, canned or frozen veggies can be used.

In another bowl mix the Bisquick with the egg and milk. Stirring just till blended.

Spray a deep dish pie pan with cooking spray. (It can also be cooked in 4 smaller single serving dishes, 10-12 oz size) Spoon the chicken gravy mixture into the prepared pan. Spoon the Bisquick mixture over the filling.

IMPORTANT DO NOT try to put the top crust it in the middle and spread it out. It will be too thick in the middle to cook through. You must put spoonfuls around the edges, maybe an inch or so apart and then a spoonful or two in the middle. Spread it out as evenly as possible. Bake 25 min or until the crust is golden brown.

Chunky Taco Soup This is a big hit with everyone who’s ever tried it and a monkey could make it if he could use a can opener. It’s sooooo easy!

1 lb hamburger

1 med onion, chopped

3 cps water

1 pkg taco seasoning

1-15 oz can black beans

1-15 oz cans pinto beans

2-14 oz cans diced tomatoes – undrained

1-15 oz can creamed corn

Broken tortilla chips

Shredded cheddar cheese

Sour cream

1/4 cp fresh cilantro, minced

In a large kettle, brown hamburger and onion in oil. Drain excess oil.

Rinse the pinto beans, and black beans with water in a colander. Add them to the pot. Stir in the diced tomatoes, creamed corn, water, taco seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for a few minutes or a couple of hours, it’s all good. Sprinkle with cilantro.

Serve with broken tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and sour cream as toppings.

For this meal you need to do the fries first and get them in the oven. Then get the breading and egg wash ready for the fish, when you turn the fries and put them back in the oven, start breading the fish and get it in the skillet. When the fries come out, turn the oven temp up and slide the fish in the oven. Keep the fries in a warm place till fish is done.

Crispy Oven-Fried Cod Fish

There is nothing fancy about this, but if your looking for a crispy coating without any deep-frying, this is about as good as it gets...great with coleslaw. Please do not leave out the cayenne it is what makes the coating, must only be dry breadcrumbs or the coating will not adhere to the fish!

1 c

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Spaghetti

hamburgers or sometimes I would make hamburger patties with brown gravy and serve with mashed potatoes

I also liked preparing pork chops with cream of mushroom soup gravy. I just poured the soup over the chops in a baking dish grind in some pepper maybe some milk and cook for about an hour in the oven.

Ham steak served with homemade scalloped potatoes.

Milanesa thin steak meat breaded and fried.

fried chicken

chicken (either pieces of boneless) fried with a little flour and seasoning then make a cream gravy with milk, chicken boullian and pepper.

roasted whole chicken which you can eat off the whole week or at least a day or two.

pork chops with onion gravy

• Flower
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

well I live with my boyfriend an it just me an him

well I prepare all kinds of dinners he is half Mexican so there is allot of ethnic cuisine that I prepare for him

the best thing to do is someday sit down with your husband and both name out lists of foods and meals you both like then try to schedule a meal plan around then =D

for me an my boyfriend this month is

this week is:

tacos and taco salad makings

then next week Roasted chicken mashed potatoes and veggies

then the next week a ham with mashed potatoes and veggies

followed but pork chops with friend potatoes and veggies

i would advise to buy a simple cook book

''The Joy Of Cooking'' is a great starter cook book

Good luck and have fun

oh plus a new different dinner every night could be expensive

try to make larger meals so they last 2-3 nights in leftover if your a budget sensitive couple like me an my boyfriend

• 1 decade ago

I actually have a list of meals we like by season (basically summer and winter because of where we live). That way, I can pick out 7 meals for the week and then go grocery shopping. For summer (it's about 107 today) I have the following on the menu this week:

Grilled hot dogs with chips and salad.

Grilled fish tacos with spicy slaw and warm flour tortillas

Grilled veggie subs (zucchini, egg plant, mushrooms and red bell peppers) on sub bread with roasted red pepper hummus served with macaroni salad

Tomato/Basil soup, served cold with fresh french bread and sliced cheeses

Grilled seafood mix (shrimp, crab, salmon) served with roasted potatoes and a tossed salad (this will be for our anniversary dinner tonight! - the kids are cooking)

Mexican shrimp cocktails served with crackers and a tossed salad

Burgers with chips, pickles and potato salad

Swordfish kabobs with wild rice salad and watermelon/mint soup

We like seafood, so we eat a lot of it. We also have a garden with lots of fresh veggies, fruit and herbs and I use that in most of my cooking.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Store-bought ready made ravioli or tortellini with: tomato meat sauce, alfredo, pesto or cheese sauce. Served with salad and garlic toast.

Tuna noodle casserole: cooked macaroni, mixed with a can of tuna, mushroom soup, 1/2 cup milk, frozen peas, baked with cheddar cheese on top. Can also be made with leftover chicken or ham.

Marinate chciken breast in italian salad dressing for a few hours, bake or grill on the forman.Serve with potatoes, rice or pasta and a side of steamed veggies.

Ranch Breaded Chicken: mix 1 pkg dry ranch salad dressing mix with 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, use to bread chicken breasts, fingers or nuggets, then bake. Serve with salad and roasted potatoes.

Homemade chili mixed with any short pasta, topped with cheddar cheese and baked. Serve with rolls or biscuits.

You can use canned chili with 1/2 pound of ground beef and veggies added.

Roastbeef sandwiches, simmer thinly sliced deli roastbeef in beef stock with 1/4 cup ketchup, served on warmed buns, can add sauteed onions and peppers or melted cheese. Serve with fries or wedges.

Quesadillas: layer chicken or ham with sauted veggies and cheese between 2 tortillas, the baked until crisp. Use sour cream or salsa to dip.

Homemade pizza: but premade crusts, layer your family's favortie toppings, top with cheese, bake. Serve with salad.

One thing I do is make meals that can be used twice.

Like spaghetti and meatballs, then meatball sandwiches, leftover pasta can be added to soup or used for pasta salad.

Leftover chicken, ham or roast beef can be used to top salads, or in wraps, pitas, sandwiches, pot pies, soup or casseroles.

• 1 decade ago

===

Best Tuna Casserole

1 (12 ounce) package egg noodles

1/4 cup chopped onion

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

1 cup frozen green peas

2 (6 ounce) cans tuna, drained

2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup

1/2 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms

1 cup crushed potato chips

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook pasta in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente; drain.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix noodles, onion, 1 cup cheese, peas, tuna, soup and mushrooms. Transfer to a 9x13 inch baking dish, and top with potato chip crumbs and remaining 1 cup cheese.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheese is bubbly.

===================================

Ground Beef Stroganoff

1 pound ground beef

1/2 cup chopped onion

1 (4.5 ounce) can mushrooms, drained

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon mustard powder

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup beef broth

1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles

Break up ground meat into a large skillet, and add onion, mushrooms, garlic powder, and mustard powder. Cook and stir over medium heat until the meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain off excess fat.

In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, and beef broth. Stir into beef mixture, and cook over low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not stir too much.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until done. Drain. Serve sauce over hot noodles.

================================

Tuna Burgers

1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained

1 egg

1/2 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

1/3 cup minced onion

1/4 cup minced celery

1/4 cup minced red bell pepper

1/4 cup mayonnaise

2 tablespoons chili sauce

1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper

1 dash hot pepper sauce

1 dash Worcestershire sauce

4 hamburger buns

tomato slices, lettuce, cheese slices, onion slices (optional)

Combine tuna, egg, bread crumbs, onion, celery, red bell pepper, mayonnaise, hot chili sauce, chili sauce, dill, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate). Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.

Coat a non-stick skillet with cooking spray; fry tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through. These are fragile, so be careful when turning them.

Serve on buns with optional toppings, if desired.

========================================

• 1 decade ago

Roast chicken, baked potatoes, au gratin potatoes, grilled veggie sandwiches, sausages and fries.

• 1 decade ago

we make proscuitto wrapped chicken with a alfredo pasta, lentil stew with chunks of carrots and other veggies, lettuce wrap buffalo chicken strips (thats the best)... simple pastas with fresh parsley, olive oil and parmegiano...

just some of the stuff we make in a week

• 1 decade ago

Pop Tarts and Guinness Stout. You can never go wrong with that combination.

• 1 decade ago

Some of my favorites are chili, nachos, hamburgers, and pizza.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.