I can't get past the 'shut off incorectly' screen on my XP, please help!?

So, I got a free computer from my grandparents. They got a new one, so.. Anyways, apparently the people that got it before us didn't want it, because they turned it off wrong and it wouldn't work. So: I turn it on, and the black screen comes up that says it wasn't shut off properly and I can go to... show more So, I got a free computer from my grandparents. They got a new one, so.. Anyways, apparently the people that got it before us didn't want it, because they turned it off wrong and it wouldn't work. So:

I turn it on, and the black screen comes up that says it wasn't shut off properly and I can go to 'last known configuration', or whatever. No matter which option I choose, it will start to load, get to the 'Welcome..' screen, and go back to the black screen. I pushed a bunch of buttons on the keyboard and a BIOS screen came up, but I don't remember how I got it or know what to do. So please help! I read somewhere that I might have to re-install Windows? I really have no idea. Help me!
Update: I don't know what that means! I don't know anything about computers, you need to explain, please.
Update 2: when I hiy F8 all that comes up is a tiny blue window that says like.. 'floppy' 'cd rom' and such..