What's the cost of ownership of a car (UK only)?

Can anyone advise me as to how much it costs to own and run a car - any car - in the UK right now? I'm currently trying to figure out if it's worth it, or if I can even afford it, but I'm having a really hard job finding concrete facts and figures. I'm not a new driver, I've actually had a... show more Can anyone advise me as to how much it costs to own and run a car - any car - in the UK right now? I'm currently trying to figure out if it's worth it, or if I can even afford it, but I'm having a really hard job finding concrete facts and figures.

I'm not a new driver, I've actually had a driving licence for nearly 15 years now, but in all that time I've never actually owned a car - I've only ever driven hire cars. I live in a big city and it's always been very easy and cheap to use public transport, but I'll shortly be starting a new job in a small town and I'm having to look again at my transport options. For what it's worth, I'll be travelling around 10-12 miles a day, and I definitely don't want a flash car or a new car, I'm looking for the cheapest possible option in terms of the cost of ownership.

I've seen various magazine articles which claim that the average cost of ownership of a car is over £5000 a year (!), which in my opinion is completely ridiculous - I could get a taxi to and from work every day for less than that. It would also be totally unaffordable on my salary. On the other hand, if I could own and run a car for on average £1000 a year or less, then it would be a no brainer, but maybe that's unrealistic.

Can anyone help?
Update: Tom T - that's an excellent link. You say "put in your own numbers", but the reason I asked the question is that I don't actually have any numbers yet (bear in mind I've never owned a car before). What should I be paying for a car, is it worth getting a cheap old car or is it a false economy,... show more Tom T - that's an excellent link. You say "put in your own numbers", but the reason I asked the question is that I don't actually have any numbers yet (bear in mind I've never owned a car before). What should I be paying for a car, is it worth getting a cheap old car or is it a false economy, that sort of thing.

I'd ideally be looking to pay around £1000 a year or less (driving a small, economical and totally non-flashy car, and certainly not a new one), but I don't know if that's at all realistic.

If I got something like (just plucking something out of a hat here) an 8 year old Nissan Micra for example, what kind of ownership cost would I be looking at? Would that be a good choice or a bad choice? (for driving myself to and from work, no more than 12 miles per day, with relatively occasional long distance journeys.)
Update 2: Thanks for your answers and I am considering other possible options, including a motorbike. As for maintenance, all I know is that I definitely won't be maintaining the car myself apart from the most basic stuff! Mileage - not entirely sure, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than 6000 miles a... show more Thanks for your answers and I am considering other possible options, including a motorbike.

As for maintenance, all I know is that I definitely won't be maintaining the car myself apart from the most basic stuff! Mileage - not entirely sure, but I'd be surprised if it was much more than 6000 miles a year.

The insurance NCB thing is a bit of a p*sser really.