Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingOther - Pregnancy & Parenting · 1 decade ago

What percentage of mentally ill adults are allowed to adopt or do foster care?

Or what about someone with a history of having served time in jail?

What are the statistics, if you know?

Adoption screening is a very thorough and in-depth process. It includes a background check, a physical examination and a social worker evaluation.

Things like serious mental illness and criminal records generally show up in the MD exams and the background checks.

Also, you might need to define "mentally ill." Is someone who was depressed as a teenager considered "mentally ill" as an adult? What about someone who regularly takes medication for depression or bipolar disorder and their illnesses have been well controlled for years?

The "jail time" part also has a wide range. Shoplifted as a teenager vs armed robbery as an adult. Anything against children or violent, however, will disqualify someone from adoption.

Things are really discussed case-by-case.

Source(s): adoptive parent. Been thru the process.

I don't know about statistics, but I know that there is a "vetting" process in the UK to decide who can adopt / foster children. As for having served time in jail, the foster parent(s) would have to have a Criminal Record Bureau (CRB) check which would be used in the decision making. I am pretty sure they would do this check anyway before agreeing to someone adopting or fostering a child, at least the law (which has been tightened a lot recently) says it should be checked.

First of all, I fully support Jennifer L's answer.

Don't know if there are actual statistics, but I'd say easily more than 5% of adopters are mentally ill adults who would not ordinarily be able to adopt but their mental illness is hidden by lies, name changes, payoffs or poor background checks. They may also have never have sought treatment. It would be no effort for my relative, for instance, to adopt despite repeated (and recent) hospitalizations for bipolar because none of it is on record with her current medical doctor. If she and her husband wanted to adopt, they simply could deny that there are any other relatives and present the medical records from their current doctor. Wealthy people, mental illness or not, are easily able to adopt. They do private adoptions and simply go to states that have little oversite. Jail time does not automatically prevent someone from adoption, but prison time is supposed to.

As far as foster care, I don't know. I think it varies by state. I know my sister's relative took care of plenty of foster babies and she is bipolar.

Keep in mind that someone with mental illness can indeed raise a child. It simply depends on the type and level of mental illness.

Misdemeanors stemming from youthful indiscretions usually aren't held against prospective adopters, although a social worker will want to know if your past behavior is just that. If you have a DUI on your record, for instance, she'll ask if you went through a rehabilitation program and what your current drinking habits are. If you have committed a felony, the U.S. government won't approve you to adopt internationally, and you might have trouble finding a domestic agency to accept you. As far as being mentally ill, it depends.... An agency will want to know that you can care for a child long-term. If your condition is under control, you may be approved to adopt. If you're in the middle of medical treatment or have a condition that threatens your life expectancy, you may be prevented from adopting. .

Source(s): The adoption guide @ Theadoptionguide.com

I dont know the statistics, but I must say this; prospective parents are checked out very thoroughly. This is not the case in foster care. One does not hear too much about child abuse in cases of adoption, but thousands of kids and babies are abused and killed in foster care.

The System sucks.