Can the Welfare Office freeze my bank account?

I was on welfare, got a job , closed my file with them. everything, now they say i own them money. can they freeze my account without notice?

Quebec Canada

Can they take your income tax return? i(CRA)

• Viv'

No, they won't freeze your account, but they will take you to court and obtain a judgment. Welfare is federal funding so it's a federal court. Right now with the recession they are seriously looking at fraud and collection. Once they get a judgment, they will follow through with the state comptroller to garnish wages.

Talk to them and find out why they think you owe them money. They do have access to your quarterly job wages, so if you got payments while on welfare they will see that in your files.

Best of

Freeze, no.

SEIZE, yes.

If you owe them money, they can TAKE it from your account, and require the bank to send them any future deposits until the debt is paid. They can't, and don't want to, leave the money in the account and prevent anyone from accessing it.

• Karen

Sounds like they can if they think you owe them anything. Ya don't mess with welfare. Make them show you what and why you owe. If they can't contact an attorney.