Why is the modern day housewife WITHOUT kids de-valued?

• Alissa
    Favorite Answer

Its not common anymore, most households can not afford only one income with or without children

Because the life of a housewife in general sounds relaxing and unproductive. Therefore, not having kids and being a housewife sounds plain lazy.

Housewife? Why did you marry a house? If you lived in an apartment why aren't you an..well you get the picture.

What if you were Matt Foley's wife would you be a "Van Down by the River Wife"?

Source(s): Chris Farley

personally....as long as you're not scabbing money off the government then it is really no ones business what you do. and with that being said... if anyone still has a problem with you then they are flat out jealous. why else would they give a rats assss what you do?

I also want to add that people won't change. I am devalued and I stay at home with 5 children and I support them myself along with my ex husband who also supports them and I get zero money from the government. ..and EVEN i AM DEVALUED. sO GO FIGURE that one out. society is just brainwashed into judging people by the importance of a person's career

cause what do you do all freaking day! beside cooking and cleaning. a housekeeper's job is not considered high in status, value, so why should a modern day housewive's job be valued when they share the same job as a housekeeper, minus the sex. please.

a modern day housewife is considered LAZY. period.

Because the feminist movement a few decades ago has convinced everyone nowadays that all women must have a "decent" job (not just ANY ol' job) and be college educated to be worth anything. It is an automatic assumption that any woman who stays home to care for her children instead of plopping them in daycare and working 40-50 hours a week is lazy. If she doesn't have children to look after, the assumption gets even worse--she is stupid, manipulative, spoiled, selfish, etc. There really is no respect for those of us who choose to adopt traditional gender roles. I'm working toward becoming a dental hygienist because being at home alone all day while my husband is at work would drive me crazy, but I take a huge amount of pride in keeping my house a home and making my husband happy. I don't nag him to help with the chores, as I have plenty of energy and time after classes to get things done. I plan on working to keep myself productive and make myself happy--not because anyone expects me to work. I will be quitting once we decide to have children, and will be staying home to care for the kids myself. Once they are in kindergarten and gone for 7 to 9 hours a day, I'll definitely head back to work, but because I WANT to, not because society says I should.

It is something my mother and I fought bitterly over--she is very much driven by the level of success in her career, and she derives all of her self-worth from how she performs at work. She was miserable when she stayed home to care for my brothers when they were born, and they started 8AM-5PM daycare before they were two. I didn't criticize my mother's choices, because she is her own person, and my brothers are well-adjusted, happy, adorable kids. My mother, however, took serious issue with the fact that I am putting my career goals on hold to support my husband in his career goals (once he gets to where he needs to be in a few months, it'll be my turn to pursue my career). She doesn't understand why I'm not gunning for a Master's degree and dying for a job with a high level of power and prestige. That's just not who I am--I derive almost all of my satisfaction from being a good wife and homemaker, and want to be the one to raise my children. Working as a dental hygienist is ideal for me, because it's a fairly challenging and cerebral job that has great hours and allows you to interact with tons of people on a weekly basis. It's all up to the individual, but society these days is quick to dictate what you should or shouldn't do, and even quicker to condemn you for not "toeing the line".

• Poppy

Why do you continue to ask this? It's been in here several times now. Take the answers you get and base your life on that.

Good for you just keep looking pretty and keep the house clean

what would there be to do all day? do you do volunteer work, involved with church?

Can I ask what you do all day ?