Why is the modern day "housewife" WITHOUT kids de-valued?

Because she is not doing as much.

• Pamela

I am sorry, but I had to laugh. I guess I am one of those who devalue a "housewife" . To me everything has a purpose, a function and I don't know what a function is of a stay at home wife with no kids. I did it for 8 years with 3 children. Now I work, volunteer and do all the things you do when you "stay home" while taking care of 3 school aged children. My husband was in the military, now a slope worker and was and is hardly home. It was hard for me to get back into the workforce being a stay at home mom, and trust me, you will one day. So good luck to you when that day comes. I work because I want to. I am not jealous. Been there, done that. I just like working and feeling accomplished outside the as well as inside the home.

• .

Because our culture is obsessed with work. We gauge a person's value by his/her job. This is a result of the sexual revolution.

I just got married and finished grad school last June. My teaching job doesn't start for a week, so I had about 2 months worth of unemployment after the wedding. You wouldn't believe how many people asked if I was bored "doing nothing!" My response is that I have plenty to do, setting up our new house and creating a semester's worth of syllabi and lesson plans for college classes!

Yeeesh...do I have to physically be out of the house to be working?!

cause the only reason a regular house wife is valued is because the kids are the hard part

without kids you're just sitting at home making sure everything is clean

however i do Envy the childless housewife lifestyle

It's B.S. We have a two year old and another on the way. Husband makes a good living and supports whatever decision I make. I'm anxious to get back to work, once we're done reproducing and the little ones are all off to school, but if I didn't, it doesn't mean that I couldn't just as readily fill my time with cooking, cleaning, laundry, ironing, running errands, grocery and household necessity shopping, listening to everyone's complaints, working out, and still finding time for romance. I do that all now, plus kids, kids are work, but I think a housewife with no kids is devalued, because with every other thing in our culture, people are HATERS!! Women get jealous that some other women out there absolutely refuse to settle for crumbs and instead,find a man that's behind them!! Also, men get upset, because deep down, they know women like us wouldn't give them the time!!

Why would a woman with less baggage be devalued? If you and your husband choose to spend your money on things like your retirement fund, vacations to places that you actually want to go (not Disney), then that makes you guys smarter.

Misery loves company, thats why married people lie about how "good" marriage is and why people with kids call them "blessings".

• LaAn

Compare cleaning your room to cleaning your room while chasing after a hyperactive child that likes to stick pointy things in electrical outlets.

Housewives with children have a lot more to do. I'm a housewife right now without kids, and I don't think you can really call it a job against raising kids. Housework and cooking needs to be done, regardless if there are kids, a job, or not.

I am a married woman, we don't have children and I do not have a payed job. We are not rich but we have a very simple life and we don't spend much money; we are vegetarian, no smoke, no alcohol and pretty much no luxuries which means that 1 salary is enough to support both of us. There is no reason for me to work and I like it this way. We are still young and I spend my time reading books on parenting and education, sometimes I volunteer in various sectors, I am an artist and sell my art for charity, the rest of the time I take care of the home, Sometimes I laze around all day because I can and I like relaxing a lot! This life style is ideal for me. I'm not on benefits or claim any benefits, my husband is happy providing for me. He is out for hours, working hard and does not wish it upon me, he is happy for me to do whatever I want and he'll pay for anything I ask him, even thoough that's very rare.

I think the main reason there aren't more women living this life is because of the luxuries most people think are necessities,,, When I compare my life to that of my friends I don't understand why they don't do what I do... especially seen as their husbands earn more money than mine, they could chill out at home! =-)

Source(s): My life

because we are not subjected to listening to kids cry and whine every day. I stay home and i clean and i cook and all that . why cant i still be called a housewife? House - Wife and Stay - At - Home - Mom are two different titles with two different meanings. one does it because they want to and the other does it because well they feel it is their responsibility.

I have one son and I am De-Valued by my husbands ENTIRE family! they all feel that because the economy is so bad that there needs to be two incomes in the house. My husbands mom and dad both worked when they had him and so they are both mad that I stay at home. they all act like I do nothing all day. Um I clean, wash clothes, scrub the baseboards and window sills, and pretty much follow my son around with a broom and mop all day. I write them all off, if you are cleaning, cooking, washing clothes, and keeping things tidy I see no problem with it!

What the hell is a housewife without kids?

I don't think you will ever find a man again if you lose the one you got

Football seasons should be banned Jesus your guy has to be honestly gay and married you so his parents think he's straight