Why is the modern day "housewife" WITHOUT kids de-valued?

Let me clarify a few things for those of you who find fault in a woman 'choosing' to become a housewife without children. During my first four years of marriage, my husband worked like a slave as a low wage earner without vacation time to achieve his career goals through educational pursuits. During that... show more Let me clarify a few things for those of you who find fault in a woman 'choosing' to become a housewife without children. During my first four years of marriage, my husband worked like a slave as a low wage earner without vacation time to achieve his career goals through educational pursuits. During that time, I worked 40+hours per week and my husband and I were only able to take one true weeklong vacation. In our early 30s, neither of us entered the marriage with children. I owned (and still own) a condo and my husband lived me, contributing financially because our situation required two incomes. Now, our financial situation has changed. We moved to a new location because my husband completed his education and accepted a lucrative job offer. We purchased a new home, evaluated our 'new' financial situation and mutually decided that he would work 'outside' the home while I work 'inside' the home. I am now 35 years old and given our newly acquired financial ability to travel as well as my husband's first life opportunity to travel 7+weeks per year due to his generous vacation package, we are taking full advantage of our situation. Because my husband's income places us in a very high tax break, which will be MY tax bracket should I ever decide to 'work' outside the home, we prefer to waive what would be left of the 'extra income' I may earn after Uncle Sam takes a chunk and travel for two years prior to having children. I have been home for a year and I am shocked by comments from family and friends alike who seem so envious of our current situation that they find it difficult to abstain from making negative comments about my current status as a "stay at home wife without children". Let me add, I went to college. I earned my degree and them some, with 7 years of college under my belt. If my husband's work situation were to change, I would be the first in line to aggressively pursue employment outside of the home rather than the first in the welfare line. It's almost laughable to read some posts written by people who dub housewives with or without children as "lazy, gold-digger, hoes" and the like in the discussion panels pertaining to this issue. I would appreciate an intelligent response to my question, particularly from those who oppose my perspective and can validly defend their perspective. Thanks for reading...
Update: ...To clarify, I volunteer at Habitat for Humanity (a wonderful non-profit) in addition to maintaining our home + yard. I clip coupons, bargain shop and find every way imaginable to reduce household expenses, not because I need to but because I want to. It's fun. I am also our vacation planner and explore... show more ...To clarify, I volunteer at Habitat for Humanity (a wonderful non-profit) in addition to maintaining our home + yard. I clip coupons, bargain shop and find every way imaginable to reduce household expenses, not because I need to but because I want to. It's fun. I am also our vacation planner and explore enterpreneurial opportunities as they arise and should the right opportunity present itself, I am open to it as long as it meets our goals (part-time work, flexible and ample vacation). As you can imagine, these types of entrepreneurial endeavors aren't falling out of trees. As a driven, career-oriented woman during the last chapter of my life, I always believed women who stayed at home must be 'bored' until now. This experience changed my perspective. I often wonder where the day went. Men who can barely pluck their dirty clothes from the floor and find the hamper while their wives work 40 hour work weeks need not respond. FYI: We plan to have kids after we travel.
Update 2: ...My goodness... My sister at age 38 just gave birth to her first child 'all natural'. Her baby is healthy and happy. A woman is never "too old" to have babies and adoption is an option for people who cannot conceive.
Update 3: ...And I have not 'thrown' away my education. Education breeds a lifelong love of learning in a person. I am well-read and continue to take meaningful courses (such as a photography course I am currently taking). And, by the way, when my husband and I share our evenings, weekends, and vacations... show more ...And I have not 'thrown' away my education. Education breeds a lifelong love of learning in a person. I am well-read and continue to take meaningful courses (such as a photography course I am currently taking). And, by the way, when my husband and I share our evenings, weekends, and vacations together, we talk about things we are passionate about (wakeboarding, travel plans, our organic vegetable garden, etc.) We deeply love on another and I can assure you, I am no less intellectually handicap than my husband because he works 'outside' the home. Our financial ducks are in order and we have contingency plans for all possible scenarios. What I'm learning through this meaningful dialogue is that people have a lot of misconceptions about the modern day "housewife". I'm finding your comments very interesting.