Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 1 decade ago

How do we tell our 9 year old bad news?

My stepdaughter came to live with us for a more stable life. She's adjusted well and is happy. We were renting a house...landlord did not pay the morgage with our rent...so now were getting kicked out because it's in forclusure. My credit is too low to buy, I have 3-6 months left on completely fixing it. There is no house in our neighborhood to rent, but their is some in an ajacent neigborhood. She will be going to the same school, same soccer team, but diffrent houses. She didnt really play with any kids in our neighborhood but one becuase he lived next door. How do we tell her.....will she get upset? My husband is already loosing his mind trying to figure out what to do before we have to get out. I feel so overwhelmed trying to be the rock...how do we tell my stepdaughter?

How is this bad news? You have to move. She is going to the same school and everything. It's just a new house. She doesn't need to know all the details. Tell her it's a better place. She will be just fine. Kids handle change better than adults.

This isn't necessarily bad news, maybe to you and her father if you both really loved the house and right now it's harder finding rentals. But, for her I would call it moving instead of burdening her with the details why and bad mouthing your landlord- save that for adult talk. My parents used to pile their anxieties about money and possibly losing out house on me when I was around her age and believe me you don't want to do that to her. Stay calm and find another place to live, then tell her that do some confusion you will be moving to a different neighborhood; assure her than she'll be at the same school and everything else just a different home. If she asks why, just tell her that because you are renting your house you don't have control over what the landlord does.

I really don't think she will mind . . Just say "we are moving" you don't need to explain everything . . If you do she will probably become worried aswell.

And why not live in an apartment ? You also said there are houses to rent in an adjacent neighborhood . . Check the neighborhood out and if you don't like that it can't be the only neighborhood renting just look around more.

Good Luck :)

My little sister is nine and she has never moved in her life. But, she and I as well keep begging our parents to move because we think it's small. (4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, very small living room, smallish kitchen, two floors, it's a Cape.) So, my sister would be excited to move. She would like to help my parents hunt for a new house, (even tho we're never getting a new house) and she'd love the expirience. Tell her in an energetic way and try to make her excited. Who knows? She might love the expirience! Best of Luck!!!!!!!!

Once you have black mold in your house, it requires a professional mold remover. Sometimes this requires the replacement of drywall and insulation. Painting over the mold does nothing. Of course, your very first step is to allow the landlord the opportunity to cure the problem. If the owner/manager fails to quickly eliminate the mold problem, then you should do the following before the apartment owner/manager has a chance to cover-up the mold: Take pictures of the moldy areas. Put a sample of the mold(s) in a sealed container. Get signed statements from other people who have seen the mold. Have a mold remediation company inspect the dwelling and provide an estimate of the costs for fixing the problem. here are laws against endangerment of your health. The more people that know about the problem, the less likely the owner/manager is to continue endangering your health or to take illegal actions against you. You can initiate actions to protect your health by informing the following people/organizations about the mold problems in your dwelling Local health department County health department State health department Insurance company for the apartment building If all else fails, go to a local law school or state bar association and ask for a lawyer to represent you pro bono (for free) in an action against the landlord. Sue the landlord to get him/her to pay to have the mold professionally treated and removed.

Tell her that you have to move homes because there is a problem with the house, say that the walls in the attic are caving in, 9yr olds will believe anything. Mention that she will stay at the same school too.

Source(s): My little brother will believe anything i say, from Sonic the Hedgehog had cancer to mushrooms that make you large.

Make it sound like an adventure. Tell her 'We get to look for a different place to live!' Take her with you and ask for her opinion etc, really get her involved. This way the new place will feel MORE like home to her, cause she will have helped.

If i was you, just talk to her. Get the kids number and tell her maybe they could get a day that he can come over and see the new house, or she can go over there. Moving can be fun, its like a ne adventure. Best Wishes. (:

Don't make it into bad news. Make it into good news--the excitement of moving into a great new place, and the best part is you get to stay at your school!