Kelbel asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Rehoming a pet dog? Opinions?

Has anyone ever had to rehome a dog i am always browsing through websites and seems so many dogs are sold.

I once had 2 rehome 1 dog as he would not tolerate my other dog and was very dominant aggressive BUT we tried everything behaviourists, training, seperation 1st.

It does appear so many people sell their dogs and some saying good with dogs, good with children, house trained - Why would you get rid of dogs that appears to have no issues or if they do have issues withou at least trying 1st?

Just curious to see why people have given up their dogs and who to, was it an easy decision and did you stay in contact?

I was very surprised to see the number of adult dogs for rehoming makes me sad!

Favorite Answer

My friend had to rehome her german shepherd because she couldn't cope with such a vigorous dog. Her dog was very friendly, and therefore she found a good home for him in a few weeks. Luckily the people who rehomed her dog only lived a few miles away so she could visit him every few weeks and she still does.

A lot of people rehome their dog because they have had some kind of injury that left them disabled, they can not handle the dog anymore (e.g in my friend's case she bought her dog as a pup thinking she could handle him but now he's an adult he's just too strong for her to manage), recession (they can't afford to keep the dog anymore) or due to divorce. Most of the time it is down to the owner having 'issues', not the dog.

Quote

"It does appear so many people sell their dogs and some saying good with dogs, good with children, house trained - Why would you get rid of dogs that appears to have no issues or if they do have issues withou at least trying 1st?"

This is something people should really be wary of.

When you get a dog advertised in a paper or online but a private sale, there are two categories of people selling, and not going through a breed rescue or general rescue.

1) is the person who really doesn't want to give up the dog and really wants to know where the dog is going which they can do through a private sale.

2) is the person who just wants money for the dog and will tell you ANYTHING to get the money for the dog.

I was called by the Transport Police a while ago. A girl had arranged to meet this guy and buy this rottie on a train station. It turned out the dog wasn't the nice little boy the owner had said, and the new owner was now trying to get this dog on a train and the dog was going mad and bit her and everything.

I had to get the nearest rottie rescue to get there quick.

The original owner would not take the dog back.

There's no way you can train a puppy in a couple of days. Sorry. Training any puppy takes a few weeks at least. That's just for basic potty and chewing training - obedience training like "sit", "stay", "heel" etc will take even longer. Read here https://tr.im/rn8fI

Do not rush your puppy when it comes to training. He won't learn effectively and at the end of the day you'll just have a puppy that's highly confused and will only do what he's supposed to half the time.

Besides, after he's trained, you'll still need to spend time walking him, feeding him, cleaning up after him, grooming him and bringing him for his regular shots at the vet.

If you have a hectic job schedule, it's best to maybe return the puppy politely. Dogs need a lot of attention at a young age, and shouldn't be left alone in the house for long periods of time - not only because they will chew up your things, but also because it can be quite psychologically damaging to a puppy.

This is why people shouldn't be giving away pets as presents.

• Joanne

most people cant afford to keep there dogs now, also a few lie about the dogs temperment.

my brother rehomed there collie, it was a working bred dog and it needed a job to do which they didnt provide (they have no farms around them and couldnt afford agility classes) he developed behaviour problems and they couldnt afford a trainer and didnt know anything about training themselves.

It was a case of they didnt think what they were getting into and with out doing any research they picked the wrong dog for them.

he is now the top dog on a farm.

It sounds like you have pretty much made up your mind any way. If you are downsizing and you can't take all the animals with you then you don't really have an option. I don't know how pregnant you are but use the rest of the time you have before the baby arrives to find suitable homes for the animals you are re homing so they get the homes they deserve and are not just dumped in a rescue somewhere. If you find them good homes then you are doing the best you can in a difficult situation.

Exactly my point with the good behaviour thing. My brother went to the vet with my dog, and met a lady who was having her cat put down. He asked if he could have the cat and she said yes. She said that he was great with dogs but cruel to her other cat. So why did she not try to rehome him first?! Also that he was fed three tins of catfood a day. So why is it that now we feed him one and a half tins and he is really really fat!!! He used to be skeletal! And he chases my dogs. If they don't tell you why they are selling, they are usually aggressive.

The answer is sadly simple.

MONEY.

People want the money back they have put into the animal and a bit on top for good measure.

Lots of people want a puppy but not that many want a grown up dog.

Never buy a dog.

For every one sold a healthy,happy one is euthanized.

Lots of puppies too.

• (H)

Some people do have genuine reasons to re-home their dog. Such as moving abroad or moving to a smaller property, or the owner may become pregnant.

Go to kajiji.com. It is a very reliable website. Good luck