Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

How many inventions did Thomas Edison steal?

I know he took the credit for the light bulb when it wasn't his invention. Are there any others?

I'm just curious. It isn't for a test.

Cheers

Update:

Vegas Jimmy - It is a well known fact that the lightbulb is a British Invention, whether you like it or not.

I have never stolen anything in my life. I would never take the credit for someone elses work either.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

December 29th, 2008

9 Inventions Edison Did Not Make

"Keep on the lookout for novel ideas that others have used successfully. Your idea has to be original only in its adaptation to the problem you’re working on." - Thomas Edison.

1. The Electric Bulb or Incandescent Lamp

2. The Electric Chair

3. The Movie Camera

4. The Power Generator

5. X-Ray Photographs (fluoroscope)

6. The Storage Battery

7. The Record Player

8. Wax Paper

9. The Telegraph

http://jawadonweb.cpage_id=900om/?

Thomas Edison was known by those who worked for him more as a thief of ideas than as an inventor of anything that was in any way useful. The most unfortunate decision of Nikola Tesla's life was to go to work for Thomas Edison.

Edison was notoriously disdainful of those whose brilliance outshone his, and the Tesla alliance did not last long.

Later Tesla worked on furthering X-ray technology, as well as inventing the Tesla coil, a device still used in many wireless products today. There is no denying that Nikola Tesla was a genius when it came to invention, but he definitely lacked something Edison actually did possess: the ability to manipulate public opinion and intimidate others.

What most people do not know is that Edison ran a sweat shop think-tank and brought out all the fruits of his hired labor under his brand name and patent. In 1890 an English inventor named William Friese-Greene, hoping to join this invertor`s club and wrongly thinking his moving picture process was protected by patent, set copies of his research to Edison.

Edison did not give Friese-Greene a job but he did give Friese-Greene`s research to W. K. L. Dickson. Dickson was the Edison wage slave that had the movie bug. He was the driving force behind film. Edison was against projecting images in a theater setting. Edison was looking for a better nickelodeon device.

Edison then protected his stolen idea with a hired band of club welding thugs who would bust up the equipment and the operators of movie cameras not paying him for use of his patent. One of the reasons that the film capital of the world is in Hollywood is because filmmakers were trying to get away from edison`s club welding thugs who chased them across the country.

Even on the other side of the country filmmakers had to fear Edison`s thugs. Samuel Goldfish, later Goldwyn, use to sleep with all his exposed film under his bed and a shot gun propt agaist the night table for fear of the look arm of this beloved inventor.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Thomas Edison Stole Inventions

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/av00l

OMG I am a big fan of Thomas Edison. He did not invent the telephone, he merely improved on the original Bell Labs design. He invented the first sucessful lightbulb in 1879 after numerous attempts. He finally used carbonized cotton in a vacuum glass tube. And the phonograph was invented in 1877. He intended the phonograph to be used as an message service for the telephone. He never intended it to be used for music. He also invented the kinetoscope which was a early example of moving pictures before the invention of the movie projector. Edison also worked with vacuum tubes a precursor to the Transistor which would be invented in 1947 (very important for the development of computers in the future) Thomas Edison lost the battle between AC and DC as a primary power source to people. Edison wanted everything to be Direct Current power. Which was not practical because it would require thick wires to travel long distance. Tesla (a former employee of edison) proposed using Alternating Current as the standard of power. It's power that goes from +120 Volts to 0 volts to -120 volts, 60 HZ (60 cycles per second) That way you wouldn't need to use thick power line wires and it can travel long distance. Tesla also invented the basic components to make a radio. However Marconi stole these inventions from him to make the first radio in 1896. To this day Marconi is credited with inventing the radio. But the important thing is, thanks to these early inventions of Bell, Edison, Tesla and Marconi. We are able to have our modern day world. From light, to Ipods to XM radio and Satellite TV signals. We owe it all to these great minds.

• 7 years ago

1. The Electric Bulb or Incandescent Lamp

2. The Electric Chair

3. The Movie Camera

4. The Power Generator

5. X-Ray Photographs

6. The Storage Battery

7. The Record Player

8. Wax Paper

9. The Telegraph

Source(s): My smart brain ^_^
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

The phonograph The long-lasting, practical electric light bulb actually, 22 inventors prior to Swan and Edison are credited with inventing an electric light bulb of some sort but Edison's was the first practical one. Edison holds 1,093 US patents in his name making him one of the most if not the most prolific inventor in history.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How many inventions did Thomas Edison steal?

I know he took the credit for the light bulb when it wasn't his invention. Are there any others?

I'm just curious. It isn't for a test.

Cheers

Source(s): inventions thomas edison steal: https://biturl.im/lwNpH
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

"What most people do not know is that Edison ran a sweat shop think-tank and brought out all the fruits of his hired labor under his brand name and patent"

So you're saying that a research institute the provides laboratories and pays salaries to researchers is not legally entitled to patent the inventions it has financed? Is that what you're saying?

Sounds like the thieves are slandering their victim again to justify their own criminality.

• 1 decade ago

I saw on youtube a part of the programme QI, where Stephen Fry asked what was the one thing that Thomas Edison genuinely invented without any doubt: the answer was the greeting 'hello'.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Joseph Wilson Swan was born in 1828 in England. He worked as a physicist and chemist. Swan wanted to produce a practical, long-lasting light source. He used a carbon paper filament in his light bulbs. In 1878 he received a British patent for his light bulb. Swan began placing light bulbs in homes throughout England. By the early 1880s he had started his own light bulb company

• 1 decade ago

I do not know the answer sorry but I thought this was such a good question exposing him as a thief that I ought to log in and star this

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.