I'm thinking of getting my own bank account, which will get direct deposits from my PT job. Good idea?

My wife and I have had a joint account for 20 years, and in that time the only saving we have done has been through my efforts where I had money deducted from one of my employers or another. I've built up the retirement fund she will share in and built a nice college fund for the kid. But month to month, we... show more My wife and I have had a joint account for 20 years, and in that time the only saving we have done has been through my efforts where I had money deducted from one of my employers or another. I've built up the retirement fund she will share in and built a nice college fund for the kid. But month to month, we often have to skimp to get by because she spends and barely works. She's probably averaged $5000 a year the past 10 years.

I have two jobs. With the FT job, we pay all of our bills and get by. The PT job is in the fall and spring and brings in a decent chunk of change.

I'm thinking of taking the direct deposit of that account away from our joint account. I will just open my own account, and put the money I make from the side job ($24K a year) in there.

Does this sound like a good idea?