Like MMA, did people think football, hockey, baseball, etc we're fads when they got popular?

A lot of people say that MMA is nothing more than a fad. They say it's popular because a lot of punks (As in, you & myself) enjoy watching violent punks beat up other violent punks (As in, Kenny Florian & BJ Penn this weekend). A lot of people say that within a couple of years from now, nobody will be... show more A lot of people say that MMA is nothing more than a fad. They say it's popular because a lot of punks (As in, you & myself) enjoy watching violent punks beat up other violent punks (As in, Kenny Florian & BJ Penn this weekend).
A lot of people say that within a couple of years from now, nobody will be watching MMA and that the UFC's rating will drop and eventually fold.

When another professional sports such as tennis and basketball gained popularity did they get the same rep?
Ok, I am a die-hard hockey fan but let's look at it this way. If you didn't know any better, which do you think would stand the test of time?
-Guys with blades on their shoes, with curved sticks hitting a black rubber disk on ice.
-Guys with different martial arts backgrounds fighting in a ring/cage.
Seriously, look at it that way.

I don't see how MMA is a fad that will go away. These forms of martial arts have been around for hundreds of years. Now, ever since the early 90's we've finally been able to see them compete against each other in competition.
Unless fighting becomes unpopular, I can't see a competition which involves a mixture of these forms of fighting going away.

What do you think?