Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

Healthy option at fish and chip shop?

What can I have from a fish and chip shop that isn't really fatty? I have no choice but to eat from there tonight (long story) but I really want something that won't pile on the calories. I know people say "oh a one off won't hurt" but I've nearly got into that frame of mind too many times, and I can't let it happen. What can I have that's not covered in batter or salt? Or just generally awfully fatty....

Favorite Answer

Most of the fish & chip shops in the UK now cook in vegetable oil and have done for a long time. There are some who still use beef fat especially around east yorks and eat coast.

Fish and chips cooked well is about 10% fat. You should go to this link for more detailed nutritional info-

http://www.federationoffishfriers.co.uk/pages/152....

It's not as unhealthy as you think and much better for you by far than any other take-away in the UK

I hope this helps you decide

Source(s): National Federation of Fish Friers
  • burges

Healthy Chip Options

• ?

There is very little that one can buy from a UK or Ireland fish and chip shop that is intrinsically unhealthy. The Health Gurus will insist that deep-frying in lard, vegetable oil of beef tallow (dripping) is nasty, but if fast food such as fish and chips are eaten as part of a balanced diet, I can foresee no harm.

Fish, even deep-fried, contains calcium, protein, valuable anti-oxidants, vitamins and a host of essential minerals. Chips, made from real potatoes (rather than the re-constituted Russet Idaho and such varieties used in some manufacturers Oven varieties) are rich in vitamins and protein. One can get just about every nutrient needed by the body by eating potatoes.

Fish and Chips, Saveloy and chips, Sausage and chips provides a good meal. One gets a good balance of fats, proteins, vitamins, carbs and minerals. Foie Gras is pure fat, Salad is seriously deficient nutritionally, the fine French Sauces are full of butter and often cooked to death.

Eat fish and chips and enjoy them!

Source(s): I'm a qualified chef

The Paleo Diet is an effort to eat like we used to back in the day, way back in the day. If a caveman couldn’t eat it, neither can you. Read more https://tr.im/py20f

This means anything we could hunt or find meats, fish, nuts, leafy greens, regional veggies, and seeds. Sorry, the pasta, cereal, and candy will have to go! Instead, you’ll be making things like chicken stir fry and paleo spaghetti.

You could have the fish supper, or maybe a single fish. Just take the batter off the fish and eat the fish - it is still tasty, but you don't get the calories from the batter. Fair enough there are still the chips, but perhaps if you asked them nicely they may give you a half portion of chips?

• Sara

Yeah, I always go for Fish and Chips, with a salad, but you gotta lose the batter....

They are a good deal a diet programs that promise you the “world” but, normally, Those diet programs consists of consuming meat so is quite tough for a vegetarian to preserve a diet plan

• Thelma

Vegetable is not really a technological term, it is a cooking term. So the qualifications to become vegetable are not very coherent, which is why we have cases like the tomato: people argue both ways.

A drink of bottled water is your best option. 99% of everything is fried so that is bad for you - secondly the pies aren't fried but pastry is fatty. So yeah very little option - maybe a pot of mushy peas or beans?

The fish inside the batter is not fatty,in fact it is steamed inside the batter - just discard the batter.