What can we learn by the way that these Christians prayed?

Thanks for looking into this question, I would like to share these Bible verses that I am referring to in this question.

This is after the Christians had been beaten and commanded not to preach or teach in the name of Jesus anymore ( Acts 4:17-18)

They were being persecuted, but they all come together and prayed:

Acts 4:23 And being let go, they went to their own company, and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them.

24 And when they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God, which hast made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is:

25 Who by the mouth of thy servant David hast said, Why did the heathen rage, and the people imagine vain things?

26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.

27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,

28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

What can we learn from this prayer? How does how they prayed show us how they viewed their persecutors? Did they desire for those that persecuted them to come to Christ? What does instead of praying that God would make the persecution stop, they instead prayed that they would speak God's word with boldness reveal about them?

What can we learn from this as we face hardship?

Thank you for considering this question, and please share on any of all parts.

sincerely, andrew

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

It shows that they saw beyond their own pain, their own fears and their own needs to others who were separated from God's love (something they knew could never happen to them, no matter what came their way). It showed that they truly understood the power of the Gospel which they preached no matter what the consequences. It shows that they had soft hearts, that had forgiven fully, so that bitterness did not rise up in them when mistreated (which would be so very natural). It shows that they truly rejoiced in being counted worthy to suffer with Christ.

I have thought about that sometimes. The apostles rejoiced that they were counted worthy to suffer with Christ. Do we rejoice in this?

• 1 decade ago

great question. First of all, by some of the answers, I can see those who don't believe in Jesus or the Bible can care less if they get beaten, bruised, and battered unjustly. If it were atheists or homosexuals getting beaten all you would hear was how radical or hypocritcal or violent or bloodthirsty or barbaric the Christians were.

But if it's Christians getting beaten, "oh well, I don't want to use my brain and learn anything."

Second, you see how these people were consumed with a passion for Jesus Christ and the spread of His kingdom no matter what the cost. What a shame that puts on me.

Third, we can that they pray not to be spared of trouble, but that God would give them grace, power and love through hardship and be a faithful witness for Christ regaredless of the cost.

Fourth, we see that the preaching of the word of God takes priority over miracles but the miracles served the purpose of pointing to the veracity and authenticity of the message being proclaimed.

Fifth, we see that the kingdom of Christ is not spread with a sword or violence, but with love and preaching as people repent of their sin and trust in Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

• 1 decade ago

Thank you for the Q Andrew!

Having strong Faith in God already, they knew His Word and prayed and stayed together in the Word.

There is a valuable lesson to be learned in their Prayer.

These believers sought their Elders and not did they think over it for a few days, but they -immediately- sought the face of the Lord, -'when they heard that'-.

The next thing we notice is not a few, one or two, but -' they (all) lifted up their voice to God with one accord-'

We are told to build ourselves up in The Holy Spirit and that's exactly what they did in Prayer immediately by saying 'How great you are God, nothing is too small for you...' Also remembering and quoting Scripture, unequivocally and with great Adoration for our Creator.

They brought before Him with such heartfelt pleading their petitions of their Abba Father,

then asked for strength and boldness of The Christ ...29 And now, Lord, behold their threatenings: and grant unto thy servants, that with all boldness they may speak thy word,

30 By stretching forth thine hand to heal; and that signs and wonders may be done by the name of thy holy child Jesus.

(The effective prayer of fervent man availeth much)

So with such faith, not a waver of doubt from these believers, The Lord granted them their desire and answered miraculously.

-Faith of a mustard seed! (and as keen ;-)

31 And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness.

What a mighty God we serve!***

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yea now days, every one thinks persecuted the “Christian” right battles the “Christian” left and vice versa. Christians are against the world, and Christians against one another. THE FUNNY thing is everyone believes God is on their side. In fact, almost every warring faction invokes the name of God. What a joke ha ha ha.....................

Let, me ask you a question, Do you really believe that He IS against those who differ with you? I don’t care to comment on the inner workings of various religions or other group of people. but as far as the Christian faith is concerned, it seems we have forgotten that the one thing we are to be zealous about, and even fight for is THE GOSPEL PERIOD!!!!

Paul battled to the point of openly rebuking his fellow apostle, Simon Peter, when the truth of the gospel was threatened (Gal. 2). Legalism was making inroads in Galatia and taking away the freedom that people had experienced through the grace of Jesus. To Paul this was cause for a battle.So is for me

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Why do you enable people like him worry you? I do ought to admit, despite if, that insulting people and searching fault with them is probable no longer the excellent thank you to "enable our mild so shine" that persons could have a reason to glorify their Father in heaven. i hit upon it sensible to categorize believers in God, no be counted if or no longer they be Christians, Jews, or Muslims, like so: a million. Lambs. sons and daughters and different innocents. 2. Sheep. Repentant people. 3. canines. Lack appreciate for holy issues except they are fit for human intake or could properly be fenced. rather risky. 4. Swine. choose I complex? they are purely risky whilst they conflict to deprave infants or are denied their pleasures. 5. Wolves. they are maximum interested in destroying the sheep, yet they could additionally, given the possibility, like to smash the Shepherd besides. those are all varieties of folk you hit upon between the believers, yet you will locate them exterior of the fold, too. be conscious that I truthfully have not suggested that those are the only varieties of folk in church homes or out of church homes, and that i've got suggested no longer something approximately atheists.

• 1 decade ago

I think the BEST part is v. 24:

...they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, Lord, thou art God,..

Recognizing that God alone is God (and we are not) is humility.

Being of 'one mind' is unity and the celebration of the Spirit which joins us together.

Seeking God, a right view of who He is (God), and the humility to know that I can do nothing on my own, and proclaiming our dependence on God...and our commitment to honor and praise him. Yep, that about covers it.

• 1 decade ago

I agree with Charli and I also believe that they recognized God's control over everything, including what was happening to them. They knew that if God was for them who could be against them, and that no weapon formed against them would succeed. They reminded God of His mighty acts in the past and how He overcame and defeated those who opposed Him and they knew He could do it for them. They had absolute faith in God's ability to help them and give them victory. We do need to learn from them.

• 1 decade ago

What it tells me is to defy the circumstances. God is perfectly capable of causing His message to prosper.

• 1 decade ago

Are you a priest? Do you think I'm going to hell? I grew up believing in hell, but if u ask me "I'm starting to doubt it" but I think I'm going to burn in hell if I die at this moment but still figuring it out on what I should do?

Source(s): I'm starting to doubt about the Bible because I feel that there is a snake or a mistake under it and it goes around the Bible.
  • 1 decade ago

A lot.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.