Horrible hot water pressure in shower (but fine in other taps)?

Hello.

I was just after some advice on how to fix this problem.

Basically the hot water tap in the shower has very little pressure. When its on full, it trickles, and if the cold is turned on more than half a centimeter then the water is freezing.

But every other tap in the house works perfectly.

I went out and replaced the actual taps, and the washers inside them, soaked the shower head in CLR (calcium, lime rust), but it doesn't seem to fix it.

When the shower is given maybe 2 - 3 minutes, the hot slowly starts to get hotter, and I'm continually fiddling with the taps to get it right.

Would love some advice on how to fix it.

Thanks

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best answer

remove the shower head with a pipe wrench and then test the water pressure if the head has a screen filter this may have gotten debris in it causing blockage and low pressure just flush out the screen filter without dropping any parts down a drain Now replace everything and you are done as long as you tightened the head well enough to avoid any leakage

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Horrible hot water pressure in shower (but fine in other taps)?

Hello.

I was just after some advice on how to fix this problem.

Basically the hot water tap in the shower has very little pressure. When its on full, it trickles, and if the cold is turned on more than half a centimeter then the water is freezing.

But every other tap in the house works...

Source(s): horrible hot water pressure shower fine taps: https://tr.im/rCRs3
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

take the shower head off again n turn on the hot water n if flow isnt changed then u now know that ur problem is between the head n the heater.put the head back on n pull the faucet stem out n have somebody turn the water on n see if u r getting good pressure there.if u r then the problem is in between the faucet n head. if not then u have a problem further up the line. u may have another valve that maybe closed partially.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It sounds like you have a shut off valve somehere in that pipe that is not turned on fully.

Also if the house is older it could have galvanized pipes they are known to rust on the inside, sometimes a large peice of rust breaks off and blocks the flow at a shut off valve. This is especially true if the house sat for an extended period of time.

Either way I would check every shut off valve on that pipe to your shower, turn them all the way in and then back out; you may get lucky and break the piece of rust when you do this.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The good answers already given may have solved your FLOW problem(it's technically not low pressure you're experiencing but restricted flow.) I just want to add the possibility that you have old galvanized pipe on that shower run which is undoubtably corroded shut. Replace it all if that's the case.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.