Advice about inheritance and bankruptcy - UK please?

My mum has asked me to help sort out her financial affairs and Will so we have been discussing things and she is concerned about my brother. Basically he is awful with money, spends it on alcohol, has debts mounting up and in particular a tax debt of £40,000 and rising. It started off as £3,000 but because he... show more My mum has asked me to help sort out her financial affairs and Will so we have been discussing things and she is concerned about my brother. Basically he is awful with money, spends it on alcohol, has debts mounting up and in particular a tax debt of £40,000 and rising. It started off as £3,000 but because he ignored the letters interest accrued on a daily basis. He keeps saying he is going to file for bankruptcy and has started the process but my mum and I have heard that if he declares himself bankrupt and mum passes away that any inheritance he receives will still have to pay off his debts. He seems to think once you are bankrupt you don't have to clear your debts. Mum doesn't think its fair all her hard earned money should go on debts. Who is right? UK only please as laws are probably different.
8 answers 8