Which bible verse says its wrong to be gay?

Which bible verse says that its wrong to be gay? Also, where does it say that its wrong to be transgendered?

Update:

This is for a debate at my school. Im for gay marrage but my opponent is against it

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favourite answer

In leviticus (Lev. 18:22) it says "Thou shalt not lie with mankind as with womankind: it is abomination."

the word for 'abomination' in hebrew is " To'evah "

the word To'evah is used few times in the bible - it means something which is disgusting or an abhorance

One of the other places this word is seen is when they are talking about eating shellfish............ something to think about next time you order a shrimp cocktail

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

I suggest you to also present him with original texts written in ancient greek, those could be more precise than some lousy translations. Or try translations of Oxford and other credible sources. They know ancient greek very well and do not translate arsenokoitai and malakoi, that mean male prostitute and rapist, as ''homosexual'' as many bible translators out of a sudden started doing after 1960's, even though the term ''homosexual'' had existed more than a century before that. But I guess that stupid people will remain stupid, what can one do.

• 1 decade ago

personally i think its all about people's different interpretation of bible verses

i don't belive that there is a verse against homosexuality or anything associated with it

besides

we all have free will and have the right to be for or against something

but when you begin to discriminate we have a problem

don't allow your beliefs on judging others be controlled by a 2000 year old book

believe what you want

and live life to the full

you only get one shot at it

• 1 decade ago

there are lots of verses in Deuteronomy which talk about homosexuality as a sin - this is the book of the laws which God gave Moses, so is taken as a guide for Christian (and Jewish) living.

There are also references to homosexuality as a sin in the book of 1 Corinthians, which is Paul's first letter to the church in Corinth, condemning their immoral behaviour and encouraging them to return to right ways of living.

there is no specific reference (as far as i know, although i could be wrong) to being transgendered, but Christians often just apply the same principles taken from gay relationships.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yeah, and this is what's so funny... Republicans and right wing religious zealots claim that the bible "forbids" homosexuality. If you read the New Testament (yes, the one us Christians go by), there is absolutely zero mention against homosexuality. The one reference appears in the Old Testament (which is what Jews follow). So, if fundamentalist Christians claim that the bible "forbids" homosexuality, but their only reference is the Jewish bible, was Jesus really against homosexuality? If so, why doesn't the new testament mention anything? Why do fundamentalist Christians pick and choose what they believe from the Old Testament?

• 1 decade ago

The Book of Leviticus states "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind." in Chapter 18, Verse 22.

Leviticus ALSO states:

"Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard" in Chapter 19, Verse 27; "Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you"; "And the swine, though he divide the hoof, and be clovenfooted, yet he cheweth not the cud; he [is] unclean to you" in Chapter 11, Verse 7; & "All that have not fins and scales in the seas, and in the rivers, of all that move in the waters, and of any living thing which [is] in the waters, they [shall be] an abomination unto you" in Chapter 11, Verse 10.

Yet, those who use the Bible to discriminate against gay people do not use the same part of the Bible to discriminate against men who shave, barbers, people with tattoos, pork eaters, football players, and people who eat shellfish.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Leviticus 18:22

Different versions of the bible say it differently, King James' says:

Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination

God's Word Translation says:

Never have sexual intercourse with a man as with a woman. It is disgusting

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I do not remember any verses in the Bible against transgenderism or transsexuality.

http://www.believersweb.org/view.cfm?ID=809 <-- This gives a list of Bible verses against homosexuality.

http://www.contenderministries.org/articles/christ... <-- This link talks about Bible verses against homosexuality and interprets them.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Michael A beat me to it

"homosexual" was a term coined in 1868

• Anonymous
    7 years ago

The bible is not homophobic is sexiest I'd does not mean not lie as in sex it mean women kind is beneath men kind

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.