What is the programming language of the Firefox browser?

I would like to know what programming language, development platform or IDE is used to code the Firefox browser. Anyone really knows?

@Tom B

Yes, I would like to know the exact language the browser is written on. I am interested in the Windows version.

You say I can find it myself since it is open source but I really don't know where to look for this kind of information...

The core of the engines are written in C++. What are the engines you ask? Most of both Firefox and the closely related Seamonkey are written in an interpreted language called XUL.

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/XUL

I've been having connectivity problems but the source code is at ftp.osuosl.org:

http://mozilla.osuosl.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/...

While there may be a zip file available somewhere, this is the .tar.bz2 file. If winrar or 7zip won't open it, go to:

http://www.cygwin.com

and download and install it. You will be getting both the GNU Tools and the GCC compiler -- so you will find that you can compile it with that --even on Windows. Anyhow, open a terminal in the directory you downloaded it to, and type "tar -xvjf firefox-3.5-source.tar.bz2" This will create a new set of folders. Go in there, read any README or INSTALL files (sometimes even called readme.txt). I do suggest compiling it and just watching (though it can be boring). And you will get a much better sense of what is what.

Firefox and Seamonkey are written in XUL on top of an engine written in C++. Yes I said engine. And yes they are different web browsers. I use both.

I am not sure I get what you are asking.

If you are referring to something like IE's activeX mozilla doesn't have that. But they do have some browser specific stuff, like some CSS tricks -moz...

If you are asking about the language the actually application is written in I suppose it varies by OS. As you can image, Windows version differs in code from say Unix-based OS.

Firefox is open-source, so why not take a look for yourself?

• Erika

the only thank you to guarantee an identical view in all browsers is to place each and all of the textual content textile and pictures right into a grasp image and then show that grasp image. Then and basically then will all browsers show the counsel an identical. have exciting.

The core was written mostly in C/C++; you can use what ever IDE you feel most comfortable in if you want to view/edit the source code.

Firefox Programming

They are C++, XUL, XBL, JavaScript, CSS.