Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

Why do some people look down on people who join the army?

When I told people I was joining a few said things like - you could do better than that or can you not get a decent job. I don't understand why some people think youve not done well by joining the army!

.3% of the US Population serves.

Maybe 5% has any direct connection to the military at all.

Bearing these facts in mind, 95% of Americans can trace their last connection to the military through family in the Vietnam draft days and base a lot of their opinions on the military on that.

I would guess that 75% of Americans dont even understand what the military really does. Here is an example: When I was a basic training company commander, I had a trainee's mother tell her daughter to go AWOL when she found we were "training with real bullets." I had another trainee who's mother wrote to a congressman because her son went to the hospital for pneumonia and her brother who was drafted in Vietnam told about the hospital he was in the conditions they had in 1969 and thought her son was in the same type of thing.

So a lot of people think if your joining the Army, then your a deadbeat because only deadbeats couldnt get out of a draft or couldn't find a job if they stayed in after the draft.

This is getting worse because now that we have had a volunteer military for well over 20 years, that mean people enlisted and retired as volunteers. A lot of trainees I got were 2nd or 3rd generation military. That means entire segements of the population never have even a remote connection to the military. That means the 5% I mentioned earlier is getting smaller.

Basicaly, when they say what they say, they say it out of ignorance of what the military as a whole is today.

• Kat

There is a reason that many people looked down on the Army. In the late 40's and 50's when a young man was in trouble. When he went in front of the judge, he was told that he either could go to jail or join the army.{ the theory is that they Army would straighten him out} So all the trouble makers, slum bags and scum of the earth joined the Army. Unfortunately, it has been difficult to live this down. Many small town, that have high unemployment tend to send them to the Army. They must figure that they can get in the Army.

Source(s): Navy Wife

and do you not notice that people that do look down on people who join the army they have no idea what the military is really about and how military life really is...they are all just talk, they don't know anything and so they talk bad about other people trying to do something with their life so that they can feel better about themselves. That's all it is, they are ignorant and it shows when they talk bad about people that join a service that they need obviously because when something bad breaks off they want to be safe and protected..cuz they sure as hell wont do it themselves, so what do they want, nobody to join the service yet when we get attack nobody is there to protect us. They are seriously retarded.

Source(s): 4 years in the army

Historically the underbelly of society enlisted to the ranks of the army. The old saying goes "To survive, the poor must steal, starve or turn soldier"

Today however soldiering is a first choice career for all classes, even those with university education. Anyone looking down on an army soldier from his cushy office desk isn't worth listening to.

Source(s): 7 years British Army

It usually is a last resort for people. I see nothing wrong with it, i think it is awesome to choose the military. I know many an intelligent person that signed up for the military. It is faster, easier, and more hands on than traditional college. You can do and learn anything in the military. The people that look down on the military have no idea what the military has to offer.

Source(s): army brat

Im in the army and stationed in korea right now. people look down on the army because it has the lowest standards compared to the other service branches. moral waivers are abundant. that being said once your through training and get to your unit, you will start to appreciate the army for what it is. honorable military service can be your rebuttal to whatever people say now. a very small percentage of americans do it. people tend to respect those who do and have.

Source(s): personal experience

It's not the joining the army that it looked down upon, it is joining the army for the WRONG REASONS.

There are too many things for me to go into here, but a lot of people who join up are incredibly naive (Not all, but a lot). The recruiters tell them a lot of really obvious lies and they fall for them. Stuff that has been floating around since before WWI. Like, "If you join up you'll spend 8 years sitting around the barracks, eating big meals, and getting to fire all the guns that you like, but you WON'T be sent to the front line". Given that the US fighting a war on multiple fronts and is experiencing a recruitment crisis, you'd have to be stupid to believe that.

People join up thinking that they are going to get free room and board, and an easy life, and then get upset when they find themselves "in a desert somewhere at the *ss end of the world getting shot at by funny men with dishrags on their heads".

Then there are the people who joined up for "revenge". Seriously, people joined up and are "still" joining up to get revenge for 9/11. Not so much now, but in the early days, people joined up specifically to fight in Iraq because they didn't understand that Saddam Husein had nothing to do with 9/11, or they thought that they were going to fight Iran in revenge for 9/11, even though neither country had even the remotest connection to 9/11.

Some people also join up because they think that it's an easy option. You don't need a college education or even a high school diploma to join up. There day's you don't even need to be literate. If you cannot read the sign up sheet the recruiters will find somebody to read it out for you (Admittedly, the MC worse than the army for this, it will even sign up learning disabled people who is is doubtful are legally competent to understand the sign up form).

This is why some people look down on people who join the army.

Do you live in the city? Where I live, the military was looked down upon because recruiters use trick tactics to go after less fortunate kids.. For many, it was a "last resort" to try and make something out of your life... I joined anyways... But I could still see it...

Those who look down on any Serviceman need their heads examining. Serving your Country is the finest thing anyone can do. Most other services tend to look down on the army because ARMY stands for Aren't Ready (for the) Marines Yet.

My mum told me not to be so daft, only two of my family have encouraged me and they were my Nan and my older sister.

No one looks down on servicemen or women around here, were not poor or immensely well off, I think its more to do with peoples upbringings and ignorance.

Both Grandads were in the forces and we were brought up with medals and gory stories (most likely exaggerated) so we appreciate what they achieved.