Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

SENIORS: Which event was the most shocking to you -- President Kennedy's assassination or September 11th?

Well, I'm only 21 so I only remember 9/11, so lol, that's what I'd go with :)

But which one personally shocked you more?

I have to say both are equally shocking for the period of time that they happened.

Because the last time a President was assassinated was William McKinley (1901).

The week before JFK was shot my school was discussing the fact that America was different and no one ever tries to assassinate the presidents anymore, then it happened to JFK. It was really horrible. I recall I was a Senior in High School and was home sick. When I turned on the television to see and hear that the President had been shot I was shocked. I started crying, as well as the whole nation was crying. Because everyone loved JFK. He was one of the best Presidents we ever had.

As for 911 it too was shocking because no country in the world had ever dared cross our borders to try to destroy Americans because of our strength in battle. We had been so upheld in power, strength and Liberty because of God Almighty that to have this very horrific tragedy hit us and come against so many people, was incredible and so devastating. No one ever thought such a thing could ever happen.

I had just gotten to work and the people there told me that the twin towers had been hit by a plane and I said No way! I thought they were all kidding. But then I saw on the television they were not kidding. We all gathered around to hold hands and prayed for the tragedy. It was hard to work and know this kind of thing had happened. We were not in New York, but on the West coast.

Source(s): my memories of these events

Very tough question! I would have to say the most shocking was President Kennedy's assassination. It was still the age of innocence in America and he was so well liked. It seemed to come out of no where. I was seventeen and remember like it was yesterday. When the attack came on 9/11 I was stunned but, in a way not to surprised. Terrorist attacks were happening all over the world. I watched in happen on TV and cried everyday for more than two weeks. We are known in the terrorist world as The Great Satan. Some pretty smart people must be working very hard in the various agencies to keep more attacks from happening. God Bless them.

It's really hard to measure one's shock level, especially when the two events are nearly 40 years apart. Also, when I was in my early teens (JFK's assassination) I reacted very differently to in my 50s. But as far as I can really make any comparison, JFK tossed my whole idea of the world, life, politics, into the air and life was never the same again. I CAN remember where I was where I learned of each, but even at this great distance, I can connect to the feeling of hearing the news of JFK being shot, and then a short while later that he was dead, and it was just so HUGE. So I guess I'll go with that.

EDIT: I should have pointed out that I'm in the UK, so it was different here from in the US. The whole thing about being shocked that someone had infringed our borders really didn't register here - we'd had IRA bombers (supported by some Americans) for years, with quite a number of deaths, though no incident killed anywhere near as many as 9/11.

• E-ma

JFK was more shocking b/c I was a little girl & did not know that any one would ever think of killing a president. My Mom was folding laundry in the living room and crying. So seeing her in tears over something that happened on TV (which was not supposed to be real stuff) was very upsetting to me. I couldn't understand what was going on.

When 9/11 happened, I was saddened, but not "shocked." I was older then & had seen news where this was attempted B4, so it was not unexpected that it would be tried again.

Plus, there has been so much USA hate, I even wondered why we NOT being attacked as seen in so many other countries on TV.

• DR W

The assassination of a President is a very shocking event, which was followed by the murder of the assassin two days later on TV! Five years later, Martin Luther King Jr. and Bobby Kennedy were assassinated two months apart. However, the ramming of the Trade Center and Pentagon were similarly shocking because of the scope, magnitude, and uncertainty of what was happening. Those two dates will stay with all who were alive at the time.

Although both events were shocking and devastating, I think that 9/11 affected me the most. The idea that our country was being attacked made me afraid for my family and my country. We didn't know if it was over or if there were more attacks to come. We didn't know who had done it. There was so much fear and doubt and suffering on 9/11, and it was pretty obvious that we would have to respond with force.

Both.

I was in high school when it was announced over the P.A. system. I'll never forget watching the funeral on tv.

As for 9/11 - I worked in the area and saw the Twin Towers in flames from my office. After the 2nd plane hit, another coworker and I immediately walked from downtown to Port Authority (those of you who know Manhattan know that's a haul by foot). Good thing we wore sneakers. P.A. was naturally closed-but from nowhere a cab pulled up with people in it and asked us if we needed a ride north-to the George Wash. Bridge. Jumped in, and when they finally reopened the bridge, we walked across. My coworker didn't live far from the bridge, so I waited in her house until my husband picked me up.

Let's hope another assassination, or 9/11 never happens again.

September 11th was far worse. President Kennedy's assassination involved only a few people,while bad, but September 11th involved at least 3,000 and affected the country far worse.

I didn't feel quite as personally threatened with the shock of JFK's assassination as I did with 9-11. Both horrors were full of sorrow.

• Poppy

I was around for JFK, I was 17. We saw it on TV as he rode through Dallas, but what shocked me the most was 9/11. Never in my wildest dream would I ever thought that would happen. I cried that day it just hurt me so much to think about all those people. Even today it still bothers me when I think of it. Poppy