Jehovah Witnesses are they a cult or are they the real truth?

Recently i wrote a long and detailed account of things i witnessed first hand growing up in the Jehovah witness organization. Apparently some witnesses don't believe what happened but as stated before ,for those who don't believe it I kept a detailed journal of events because I knew that later in life I would start to expose the lies and the people who have brainwashed several people. See it's okay for the witnesses to sit here discount the truth because I knew this would happen but being that I've received several little nasty notes from witnesses. I must say that things haven't changed at all. See when you start bring things out into light they get upset then they say I don't believe you well that's okay. But the truth hurts, see this isn't a joke I waited for years because I had to raise a family. I taught my children that you can serve God and have fun serving him and doing his will plus God wants his people to be advanced, enjoy the blessings of hard work. See the witnesses like to brainwash people but not this one. I was there and saw the mess and lies so for those witnesses who are not open to hear the truth then so be it. But believe me I will hide no more the real truth has to come to the light. Maybe it didn't happen at your Kingdom Hall but it happened at mine!!! and to the person who said I had a complaining attitude no that's not the case I'm just doing something that many have been doing, expressing themselves and telling the truth. See being that my Step-father was an Elder and he had step children who didn't want to be witnesses we had to be elimnated from the picture so that he could shine in the organzation and when you became and traveling overseer things were at a whole diffrent level. See what mother JW or any other religion would kick a child out there house at age 13 and not speak to them in almost 30 years and live in the same town. That's why the question is what it is cult or the truth? Oh for those who must know I have had therapy so I'm okay and yes my mother is speaking to me but my step-dad doesn't know that she is he would go crazy

The answer to the question is, "No. It is not Christian." Like all non-Christian cults, the Jehovah's Witness organization distorts the essential doctrines of Christianity. It denies the deity of Christ, His physical resurrection, and salvation by grace. This alone makes it non-Christian. To support its erring doctrines, the Watchtower organization (which is the author and teacher of all official Jehovah's Witness theology), has even altered the Bible to make it agree with its changing and non-Christian teachings.

Typical with cults that use the Bible to support its position is a host of interpretive errors:

* Taking verses out of their immediate context.

* Refusing to read verses in the entire biblical context.

* Inserting their theological presuppositions into the text.

* Altering the Biblical text to suit their needs.

* Latching onto one verse to interpret a host of others.

* Changing the meanings of words.

* Proclaiming some passages to be figurative when they contradict their doctrines.

* Adding to the Word of God.

Additionally, the Jehovah's Witness organization requires of its members regular weekly attendance at their "Bible Study" meetings where they are repeatedly indoctrinated with anti-Christian teachings. This is done by reading the Watchtower magazine, following along with what it says, reading the questions it asks, and reciting the answers it gives. In other words, the Watchtower Organization carefully trains its members to let the Organization do their thinking for them. For confirmation of this, please read Does the Watchtower organization control the JW's thinking?

The Witnesses are told they will be persecuted when they go door to door teaching their doctrines. They are further told that this is simply the enemy fighting against God's organization because they are in "the truth." So, when someone disagrees with them, they are conditioned to reflect on what the Watchtower has told them. They then feel confirmed in being in God's true organization on earth (like all cults claim). They are strongly encouraged to have friends and acquaintances that are only JW's, thereby keeping outside examination to a minimum. They are told to shun those who leave their group, for in this way there is no way to see why someone has left and no way to find out that they are in error from those who have found the truth in Christ. They are conditioned to shy away from any real biblically knowledgeable person. An example of this is frequently found on the Internet. I was once banned from a Jehovah's Witness chat room after I not only answered their objections to the Trinity and deity of Christ, but challenged them in return. Subsequently, my name was passed around to all other Jehovah's Witness rooms where I was banned from them as well. This is a frequent occurrence on the Internet where the Jehovah's Witnesses are alive and well. It is obvious that critical examination of their doctrines is not encouraged by the Watchtower Organization.

The Jehovah's Witnesses consider themselves to be Christians because they believe they are serving the true and living God. Like many cults, they think they are the only true church on earth. Yet, they deny the Trinity, the deity of Christ, the personhood of the Holy Spirit, Jesus' physical resurrection, and salvation by grace through faith.

The Jehovah's Witnesses are discouraged from looking into Jehovah's Witness history or old Watchtower literature which is replete with contradictions, altered doctrines, and false prophecies. Instead, they are indoctrinated repeatedly against basic Christian doctrines (Trinity, deity of Christ, etc) and into the notion that they alone are the true servants of God and that all others are either in "Christendom" or simply unbelievers.

Primarily, the Jehovah's Witness organization is a mind control organization that uses its people to pass out literature and send in "donations" to the headquarters in Brooklyn, New York.

"Thus the Bible is an organizational book and belongs to the Christian congregation as an organization, not to individuals, regardless of how sincerely they may believe that they can interpret the Bible."1

The Watchtower organization of the Jehovah's Witnesses is a non-Christian organization that uses its people to promulgate false doctrines, and collects "contributions" for distribution of a multitudinous amount of literature, and expand its grip into the lives of its members and their families.

It is a non-Christian cult.

As much as you hated to be true and as much as you wanted to be false but it is a true religion. Did you not know how Satan accused of Jehovah of being a liar but Jehovah will always be the one true God? It is the same with Jehovah's organization, you can keep all the journals and details of everything. We all imperfect people it very easy to find fault in anyone of us but the one thing we have that others don't is Jehovah God. You can write all you want or say all the negative things about us or the organization, Jehovah will always be with us. I don't know your story with your step dad so I won't go there. I say what I know. In examining others' beliefs and comparing with the Bible, Jehovah's Witnesses closely followed Jesus and the Bible. I tell you what, if you can prove Jehovah's Witnesses is a false religion using the Bible, go with atheist because God was just a fairytale.

I will also tell you another thing, evolution makes no logical sense. No one specie evolved to another other than the cartoon Pokemon. Every specie was created according to its kind states Genesis chapter 1 and 2.

• Mary

Gee, you say "sect" like it's a bad thing. It's simply a means to describe a group of people that don't share the same thoughts or philosophy as the majority of groups within their genre. Did I use words too big for you to understand? Okay, how 'bout this? noun /sekt/ sects, plural 1) A group of people with somewhat different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong 2) A group that has separated from an established church; a nonconformist church 3) A philosophical or political group, esp. one regarded as extreme or dangerous We as Jehovah's Witnesses have somewhat different beliefs than mainstream "Christian" religions, the most important of which, according to Jesus, is to sanctify Jehovah's personal name, to promote Jehovah's kingdom as the only means of salvation for mankind and to preach Jesus as king of that kingdom. (Matt. 6:9,10) We are very clearly separated from the established churches, because they have all invited pagan ceremony and ritual into their midst and, just like the Israelites who made the golden calf at Mr. Sinai, proudly announce these pagan rituals as "a festival to Jehovah." (Ex. 32) Number three simply doesn't apply as we are not a philosophical or political group... unless, of course, you have included being members of God's kingdom arrangement as political. Now for cult. cult noun /kəlt/ cults, plural 1) A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object - the cult of St. Olaf 2) A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister - a network of Satan-worshiping cults 3) A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing - a cult of personality surrounding the leaders 4) A person or thing that is popular or fashionable, esp. among a particular section of society The amusing thing I found about these definitions is that they rely on the "beliefs" of NON-members to define the groups (points 1,2 and 3). Re: Point 1 - our devotion is to Jehovah God and to the one whom he sent forth, Jesus Christ (John 17:3). We do not venerate (look it up, I'm sure you don't know what that means) any object or person Re: Point 2 - Again, this definition is foisted upon us by others (Foisted-Letter F (not ph) in the dictionary). If you saw one of us in our non-ministry clothing and business, you'd NEVER know we were Witnesses simply by looking at us. Re: Point 3) - See point 1. If you feel that our faith or "excessive admiration" towards Jesus and his Father Jehovah is bad, then the fault is yours and not ours. I, as one of Jehovha's Witnesses, firmly attest that we are a sect... as in short for section... of mainstream Christianity. Why am I not afraid to admit that? Because I have a grasp of the English language and know and understand the true definition of the word, and don't try to use some infantile and moronic "self-justification" as members of Christendom do in labeling us.

I’ll give you the short answer. Being labeled a cult is a matter of degree. It’s not an either/or characteristic. In my opinion, the Jehovah’s Witnesses are a cult. However, they are not an extreme cult.

Here are some characteristics they have that identify them as a cult:

1. They believe that they are the only Bible-based faith with any hope of eternal life.

2. They practice extreme information control, forbidding members from reading any religious literature that disagrees with the cult’s doctrines.

3. They practice “love bombing,” meaning that they are exceptionally friendly to potential converts, making them seem like the organization is a wonderful place.

4. They are highly legalistic. They forbid many things that should be matters of conscience.

5. They deny the deity of Jesus Christ.

6. They believe it is acceptable to lie to non-believers (they call it theocratic war strategy).

7. Their core doctrines are constantly changing.

8. Their leadership structure is dictatorial and unrepresentative of the world-wide membership.

9. They use fear tactics to get members to perform services for the leaders.

There are many other traits. These are just a few off the top of my head.

All religions are cults.

So what are those little voices in your head telling you today ?

Sounds like you have spent a long time planing & making up this story .See what happens when you forget to take your meds .

By the way I am not a JW.

It's the truth for me. I am sorry you had a bad family situation, and without knowing both sides of the issue, (Actually, we don't even know yours), it's impossible to say who was wrong or right. In my experience, I have known many who left, or were disfellowshipped, and without fail, unless they made a fairly rapid comeback, all found irreparable wrong with the organization. The real point here is that if it isn't truth for you, you did the right thing to leave. It's not a life for everyone, obviously, but it is a life for many. I do not criticise your right to have a comfortable, happy life without Jehovah, why would you criticise my right to have a comfortable happy life WITH Jehovah?

I did investigate other religions, and am an educated woman, who chose this without pressure from anyone. When I did leave, temporarily, it was as simple as not going to meeting any longer. How can this be classified in truth, as a cult?

As in any organization in the imperfect world, you will find abuses of authority. I do not believe this to be the norm with Jehovah's witnesses. I have seen many congregations, been part of many, and have not seen this. I am not discounting that there may have been wrongdoing in your hall. I'm merely telling you that I have never seen it in 46 years in the truth.

Sure, I have seen brothers I didn't care much for, those who tried to lord it over others, some who tried to grasp too much authority. I've seen sisters whose main hobby was hurtful gossip, some of it affecting my family directly. I have seen some lie, some cheat, some live double lives. I have also seen these disciplined through the congregation, and while some of them returned, some did not, and share your view.

I have to be truthful, and say that I was hurt by some of these things, and somethimes questioned why Jehovah would allow it, but when I waited on Him, every time, the problem was resolved. It happens every day, someone needs discipline from Him, and even if it isn't done quickly, according to OUR timetable, it will be dealt with. The situation you alllude to will be resolved, also, if there was wrongdoing. It sounds as if you still believe in God, and if so, you know that nothing is hidden from Him. IF Jehovah's witnesses are wrong, and we are not doing God's will-as a group, then we will be the ones to suffer for it, not you.

I wish you happiness.

Here is what Jehovah God says........ . .“Bring forth a people blind though eyes themselves exist, and the ones deaf though they have ears. 9 Let the nations all be collected together at one place, and let national groups be gathered together. Who is there among them that can tell this? Or can they cause us to hear even the first things? Let them furnish their witnesses, that they may be declared righteous, or let them hear and say, ‘It is the truth!’” 10 “YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”.(Isaiah 43:8-11)

Source(s): One of his servants

Hi.

No they are not a cult. GeeSH!

I am not a member ,and even I know better than that.

I have known at least 150 to 200 or better.Have been to plenty of meetings,Helped in erecting 2 kingdom halls.

I work construction,and I have never seen the level of professional,structured,and even tempered people(sometimes 400 to 600) in one spot without bickering, while building a building in 2 days!

They truly show love for one another and for others as well.

You wanna see a cult....go see one of those places where they roll in the aisle screaming as their leaders come over yelling at them.

or

The Moonies

or

Jim Jones back in the 70s GeeSH !

I don't doubt your sincerity ,but it seems to me there is more to the story,that we all don't know here on yahoo.

Sorry for my presumptuousness.

.

.

Were you a baptized witness? I need to know in order to answer your question. I am a Christian, a Jehovah's witness.

Since you were never baptized your Mother should have a relationship with you. You were never disfellowshipped. Even then she would be able to converse with you albeit limited.

Since your step dad is an elder he would know this. Remember, none of us are perfect, and when it's a family relationship sometimes we get a little off track.

Here's my advice...

Sit down and talk about it with your mother and your step dad. Be respectful of who they are and their beliefs when doing so. Ask yourself...Do I want a relationship with my mother and/or my step father? If the answer is yes to one or both then it should be easy for you. Serving Jehovah is a personal decision, one that cannot be made by your parents. Having said that, they have also made their decision and someone has to make a first step. Why don't you be first?

And I think you know that Jehovah's Witnesses do not belong to a cult. After all, noone held you hostage, they didn't brainwash you and you were allowed to leave of your own accord.

• Suzy

I am so sorry you were treated like this. No 13 year old should be treated as such.

I am a Witness of 14 years and have seen things also. These ones are not of Jehovah God. Satan has his place in every organization and you were used by him. I've had my share of things in my Hall also and for my own spirituality, had to go to another Hall. After leaving to another Hall I was bad mouthed for leaving. This is man's injustice, not Jehovah's. I am doing very well now in the new Hall and so happy I made the choice to go to another one.

Please keep an open mind to go to another Hall.