When you evangelize/witness/proselytize, are you ever concerned about coming across as a psycho?

Let's face it, we have all encountered the wide-eyed screaming religious freaks out there who scare us and make us uncomfortable with the forcefulness of their messages or fire and brimstone threats. How do you avoid this when getting your message out?

No. It has never, ever been a problem with me or a concern of mine. Years of practice, and being sensitive to people and their attitudes, their body language and subtle inflections in their voices. And sometimes just gut feelings. And many times I do not do anything more than share a few beliefs in a very nonjudgmental way, though I have been known to be very audacious at times. Baha'is are prohibited from proselytizing anyway. I may well be the most vocal Baha'i you will ever run across. A very conservative estimate is I have shared my faith with well over 50,000 people spread over a couple of decades, and it is very likely that the number actually is near 100,000. (You do the figures. 25 - 40 people a day, many times six days a week and occasionally seven, fifty weeks out of the year for over 25 years.) I had only one complaint lodged in all that time. And that one was the result of a 16 year old girl seeing a book I was reading, asked to see it and then would not stop asking me questions. Her very unhappy, very fundamentalist Christian mother was there and did not take even my very short answers very well. I knew she was not pleased, but her daughter kept going back to it even when I tried to change the subject. And I got a lot of positive feedback and a number of calls to my bosses complimenting me during those years.

But even if a handful had taken even a bit of umbrage, I keep in mind the saying that the only one who never offended anyone is the one who never took a stand. The stand I take is a very strong one, but I try to do it in a gentle manner. My stand is Christ has physically returned and it is time for us to build God's Kingdom on Earth and live in peace. It is up to you whether you ignore it or investigate that possibility. But one thing you will not be able to do is someday accuse me of not telling you when I had the opportunity. That puts the onus on you, not me. World peace? How important to you is it? Consider this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDSh5wUtXt4

Youtube thumbnail

If I had to pick one song to be the theme song for the Baha'i Faith, it would likely be From a Distance by Bette Midler. World peace is what the song is about. World peace is what the Baha'i Faith is all about. What I do not understand is why so many do not even bother to investigate it. If it is not what it claims to be, you have wasted a bit of time. But what if it is and you ignore it? Do you realize that if you take just the people in the United States alone, and equate each one with one single, solitary second, you would have nearly a century? Over ninety-seven years! Now, if the Baha'i Faith is the best if not the only way toward finally achieving world peace, and each time someone ignores it, it adds a one second delay to the time when there will be peace, then we have just doomed our children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren to a lifetime of wishing and praying for peace rather than enjoying it. But no matter what you do, no matter what you believe and no matter what you teach your children, sooner or later somewhere down the line your descendants will embrace the Baha'i Faith and each one will then add one more heart to our ever-growing, world-wide family.

The Baha'i Faith, uniting the world, one heart at a time.

The Jews await the Messiah, the Christians the return of Christ, the Moslems the Mahdi, the Buddhists the fifth Buddha, the Zoroastrians Shah Bahram, the Hindus the reincarnation of Krishna, and the Atheists - a better social organization! Baha'u'llah represents all these, and thus destroys the rivalries and the enmities of the different religions; reconciles them in their primitive purity, and frees them from the corruption of dogmas and rites. For the Baha'i Faith has no clergy, no religious ceremonial, no public prayers; its only dogma is belief in God and in his Manifestations (Zoroaster, Moses, Jesus, et al., Baha'u'llah).

I've visible plenty, unluckily, however listed below are one of the worst: my quality pal's mom, whose youngest son is a recognized robber and drug trader/junkie. She maintains protecting for him or even defends him, announcing that it is the police who're fallacious. Even while he steals immediately from her residence. A lady on the teach station who had a crying lady along with her. She simply allow the woman wander across the platform, virtually falling off onto the railroad tracks at the same time crying, and utterly overlooked her the complete time. Didn't care while the woman received at the teach through herself and headed clear of her. The mother or father of a little one who my pal teaches. The little one has punched one other instructor, backtalked plenty of adults, and so on. And the mum does now not even care. I labored at a police division, so I noticed far more unhealthy father and mother than well ones, unluckily. Including the person who allow her daughter get molested through her "uncle" and used to be looking to shield the uncle. Sigh.

Well I don't scream messages of fire and brimstone since there is NO SUCH THING!!!!!

You have been listening to the wrong kind of people.

Listen to Jehovah's Witnesses and you will get a calm, peaceful message as Jesus directed - the "good news of the kingdom."

"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth." We are the meek looking for the meek.

And if I'm misinterpreting your question, I politely excuse myself from them, because as I said, we are the meek looking for the meek.

Source(s): One of Jehovah's Witnesses
  • Keith

Yeah, and what's really bad is when they come on your property unannounced, and try to engage you in an argument. One radio station where I used to work had an AM station in addition to our FM station. On Sundays, we had these preachers who bought air-time to get out their message. One would scream and stamp the floors so hard that pictures would fall off the walls. Some of these people are scary.

Very good point. Some of these people DO over do it.