Magic the Gathering: Regeneration Question?

I understand that regeneration does: If a permanent with regenerate would be destroyed, remove all damage, tap it and remove it from combat. My question is, with a creature, how would these scenarios play out?

Scenario 1:

I attack with a 2/2 (with regenerate as an activated ability) and you block with a 2/2. Damage goes on the stack, I then pay for his regenerate. Does my attacking creature still deal damage to the blocking creature, even though he was removed from combat, thereby killing it?

Scenario 2:

With the new M10 changes and combat damage no longer stacking. My last chance to regenerate would be after the declare blockers step. So, as with the situation above, does your blocking 2/2 die, or no?

Scenario 3 is same as scenario 1, but with me blocking then regenerating the creature. does my blocking creature still deal damage?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Keep in mind that when you pay the regeneration cost, you are not regenerating the creature. What you are doing is putting a "if this creature takes lethal damage this turn, it will regenerate" shield on it.

So, your dcreature has to take damage that would kill it first. In scenario 1, both creatures deal damage, and both would die, except yours has the shield on it. It regenerates and would be removed from combat, except it has already dealt it's damage. Now, let's say in scenario 1 that I lightning bolt your creature before damage is on the stack. It regenerates and becomes tapped, also removed from combat, so it does no damage to my creature.

Make sense?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Scenario 1: According to the existing rules, damage goes on the stack and then you pay for regeneration. Regeneration adds a shield around the creature that says "the next time this creature would be destroyed, cancel that destruction event". A destruction event could be lethal damage or a simple "destroy target X" effect, such as that used with Executioner's Capsule or Bone Splinters. Thus - and, again, according to EXISTING rules - the damage resolves and the blocker dies, but your creature is saved.

Scenario 2: According to the new rules coming with Magic 2010, indeed your last chance to do anything to save your creature is during the declare blockers step. Once that step is finished, the combat damage step occurs. Remember that the new rules state that damage no longer uses the stack, so the damage would happen instantly. Unfortunately, your attacker has been removed from combat as a result of regeneration, and thus no damage is dealt to its blocker. Both creatures survive.

Scenario 3: Same as in #2, your blocking creature is removed from combat and deals no damage. However, having blocked with the creature, your opponent's creature remains a blocked creature, even though the creature that was blocking it is no longer in combat. The attacking creature's damage fizzles as it hits neither the regenerated creature nor you, the player.

Interestingly enough, because it was removed from combat and was not hit by the attacker, the regenerating creature still has his regeneration shield up until the end of the turn. Thus, any other single attempt by your opponent to destroy that creature for that turn will be prevented, as well.

Come to think of it, the same thing would happen in Scenario 2, as well. As it stands, I think the regeneration ability is now more useful as a quick save during any other destruction event other than direct combat.

Source(s): Official article on Magic 2010 rules changes: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/Article.aspx...
  • Bill C
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Ok,

Your regeneration doesn't kick in until lethal damage is done, so think of regeneration as a shield and this will help. Let's look at the scenarios.

#1: Since the stack is still an active ability for damage, then damage will be dealt and with damage on the stack, you activate your regeneration ability. Now damage is dealt to each creature, thus his creature dies and the regeneration kicks in, removing the damage you took and putting you out of the red zone, tapped. Opponents creature is dead.

#2: With the new rules changes, you have to activate your shield before damage is deal, since damage will not use the stack. Damage is dealt by each creature, thus again, killing your opponents creature, and the regeneration kicks in and saves your creature, same ending as scenario #1.

#3: Doesn't matter if you are the attacker or blocker, regeneration works the same was as the first 2 scenarios. Bottom line, his creature dies.

With the new rules, regeneration works the way new players would naturally figure it to work, like a troll in dungeons and dragons. The troll takes damage, deals damage, and pulls itself back together bit by bit. The new rules are meant to simplify magic for all beginners. Look at the rules now, they are so complex for such a simple game.

You can verify all this on the wizards website, just search their huge comprehensive rules.

Source(s): www.wizards.com
  • 1 decade ago

hi anthony,

in scenario 1 (current rules), your 2/2 would regenerate after damage resolves (when it's dealt lethal damage by the blocking 2/2)--hence your opp's 2/2 would die while yours would be removed from combat.

in scenario 2, your last chance to activate the regeneration field is indeed during the declare blockers step--before transitioning to the damage resolution step. in this situation, you regenerate BEFORE the damage step so there is NO damage on the stack. both creatures live.

this leads directly into scenario 3. your creature would not have dealt any damage, so the blocking creature would not die. essentially, nothing happens. you attacked for no reason. doh!

the new rules will def' take some time to get use to.

Source(s): here's a break down of all the recent discussions on power9pro.com/blog dealing with the rules changes. i hope this helps. :) http://power9pro.com/blog/2009/06/rules-magic-gath... http://power9pro.com/blog/2009/06/magic-2010/ http://power9pro.com/blog/2009/06/embracing-m10-ru... http://power9pro.com/blog/2009/06/elder-dragon-hig...
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Regeneration doesn't happen immediately after you play the activated ability, it happens as a consequence of the creature being destroyed. Essentially, it's a kind of "shield" that hangs around and waits for your creature to take lethal damage.

What this means is that in your scenario 1, the creatures deal damage simultaneously when combat damage resolves. Since this would kill your creature, its regeneration shield (which you set up when Regeneration resolved) will trigger, and you remove it from combat, remove the lethal damage from it, and tap it if it wasn't already.

In scenario 2, the same thing happens, except you have to pay before damage. Regeneration still does not happen until the creature takes lethal damage, so the damage resolves, and then your creature is removed from combat, all damage is removed from it, and it's tapped if it wasn't already.

Exactly the same thing happens in scenario 3.

In all cases, your opponent's creature takes damage from yours.

The interesting scenario is where you're blocking with a regenerating creature, but the creature you're blocking has First Strike. In that scenario, your creature will be removed from combat as a result of taking lethal damage with a regenerate "shield" up, so it won't have time to deal damage back.

• 4 years ago

The regeneration ability always has a cost and an effect. For example in Troll Ascetic it says: 1G: Regenerate Troll Ascetic That means that if you pay 1G you will put a 'regeneration shield' over your Troll Ascetic. Any combat damage or burn damage (such as schock, or volcanic hammer) will deplete the 'regeneration shield' instead of killing your Troll (assuming that somehow they can target the Troll). As an effect of using the 'regeneration shield', the regenerated creature becomes tapped. Now damage done by attacking and blocking creatures. Once you declared blockers, the next step in the combat phase is called "combat damage". Here you assign the damage from the creatures you control and your opponent does the same. Once damage is assigned, you (and your opponent) are allowed to play effects, abilities or spells, that will go on a stack. Once the stack solves and its empty, damage will be done. Lets say you attack with Troll ascetic and I block with a grizzly bears. You assign 3 damage to my bears, and I assign 2 damage to your Troll. Damage goes on the stack. I play giant growth on my bears. You play your regeneration ability (damage has been assigned but not yet done). Once we both pass and damage is dealt. Your Troll will be tapped, since you used its regeneration shield. One more thing about regeneration: you can pay the regeneration shield as many times as you want, and not necesarrilly use it. Lets say that you have magus of the vineyard and no way to spend that mana, you can use it on your Troll Ascetic's regeneration, even if it doesnt get damage at all.

• 1 decade ago

Well gues I am out of the loop, MAgic 2010?

new rules revised again o clean it up again, I assume a new set coming out, maybe I will ind time to play again.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.