kate asked in SportsHockey · 1 decade ago

Why do hockey players hate figure skaters?

In my view, figure skaters are much tougher.

Hockey is aggressive and you have to wear smelly gear, but it protects you from getting hurt! Figure skaters have to wear uncomfortable dresses. Do you think we like wearing them? WRONG! Every skater at my rink who is above 7 hates wearing them. We fall hundreds of times trying to land jumps, but do we get any special padding? NO! We freeze our butts off falling and wearing super thin tights! Figure skating takes the same amount, if not more, agility and precision as hockey. Don't just say, figure skaters have their programs planned out, it's easy! WRONG! We have to time ourselves doing tight footwork and making sure everything is aligned and set up properly for a jump or spin. Yeah, hockey has things that are hard, but figure skating is even harder.

Favorite Answer

im a hockey player i dont hate figure skaters. As a matter of fact i enjoy watching them practice before our games or practices at the rink. I think its amazing at what they can do. And honestly, i believe they are better skaters than hockey players because they have to do alot more. We just have to do a few things on skates. IDK y other hockey players hate figure skaters but i dont

• rbabz

I've figure skated and played hockey; I even did them both one year. I ended up choosing hockey over figure skating because it's impossible to do both because they require so much time.

Anyways, I've never hated figure skaters, though I know some hockey players make fun of skaters just because it seems like a wussy sport. Of course anyone who's figure skated and fallen knows it hurts a lot and takes dedication to get up and continue after a bad fall. However, it isn't a contact sport and you're more likely to get a concussion and break bones playing hockey. In figure skating, you should learn how to fall to avoid serious injury (although not always and I think pair skating seems really dangerous because you can't control all your own actions). But in hockey, you can't control how someone hits you and how you fall which is why we have to wear so much equipment.

Also, figure skaters chip up the ice which can really suck and trip us up. Only reason I've ever had a problem with figure skaters.

Well, im a hockey player and i don't hate figure skaters. I enjoy watching them at my rink because well some of them are pretty cute. Ya figure skating is tough but i don't see them taking a stick, fist, or puck into the face almost every time. Hockey players get their faces all cut up swollen and bruised but continue to play after getting a quick stitch up in the locker room. You're right though. You don't have any padding and it is gutsy to jump and spin on the ice without trying to fall or twist an ankle when landing. I think both sports are tough in their own way.

Source(s): Im a hockey player and my sister ice skates

Almost all of the guys on the hockey team when i first joined made comments about how they don't want a figure skater on there team, or how I was at the wrong practice and that figure skating was in two hours or something. Even though I never was a figure skater, they made the comments simply cause I was a girl.

It makes them look girly and fruity and un-tough, and that's why they hate it. Simple as that.

And to a part of your question where you stated that hockey is hard but figure skating is ever harder, try being checked into the boards by a guy about 200 pounds in weight.

I was a figure skater for three years from the time I was 4 until I was 7. I competed by myself and on two synchro teams. And I've played hockey since I was 8 (only girl on my team all 8 years :). My point is, if I could do all that stuff when I was that young, it's easy enough to catch on to. I'm 13 now.

• ?

I am a very feminine female hockey player, and I don't hate figure skaters, I just hate the way their toe picks mess up the ice

Hockey requires the agility, precision and grace acquired through figure skating and THEN SOME. You need strength, dexterity, a fast reaction, excellent hand eye coordination, a good grip, the ability to work many different positions, be able to deliver a good hit and more to play hockey. Try getting on the ice and playing an NHL game and then see what sport you think is more both physically and mentally challenging.

• I don't hate figure skaters.

I had no clue that we had distaste for figure skaters as well.

Have you played hockey? Seems you probably aren't the one to ask which one is harder to do but neither am I so, why try to make this point?

Do you have to do ladders? 15 lbs of gear weighing you down? Do you have to stick handle? shoot pucks with precision? ever blocked a shot speeding at you at about 70 MPH? Been checked before? Been speared before?

Fighting for ice time probably.

I also have an issue with this one figure skater at the rink where I practice because she's a stuck up ***** who thinks she's God's gift to ice skating, when she's not even that good.

But she's always trying to do these spins and jumps during PUBLIC FREAKING SKATE and gets pissed off when someone gets in her way.

Whatever.

First of all, if you are actually working you would not be cold. Second, are you getting pucks shot at you? Third, do you think we have "special padding" everywhere? Fourth, all you do is skate, no stick, no puck. Fifth, do you think hockey equiptment IS comfortable, think again and stop complaining! Sixth, and the biggest reason of all, you chip up all the damn ice! Do you understand how annoying it is to play hockey with 2 inch gouges out of the ice everywhere? You guys COMPLETELY destroy it. I would compare it to the ice after two hockey games without the Zamboni. Figure skating is nothing compared to playing a hockey game. I would like to see you do it.

Source(s): I hope everyone takes time to read my answer. Enjoy!