JJ
JJ asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

How do you stop a baked cheesecake from cracking?

Favorite Answer

open the door and slowly let the cheesecake cool down and then pull it out completely of the oven after about fifteen minutes... that isn't always a sure thing though either if mine crack, i just cut it into slices so then the crack isn't noticeable..

if you spray a tiny bit of pam on top before baking it usually helps

I always use a water bath.

Here's how to do it, in case you don't know!

Water Bath is a method used to bake cheesecakes to lessen the likelihood of cracking from occuring. This method should be used especially for larger cheesecakes.

Directions

1. Wrap the sides and bottom of a springform pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil to prevent leakage while baking the cheesecake.

2. Place the cheesecake batter-filled springform pan into a larger 2" to 3" deep baking pan.

3. Place pan in a pre-heated oven. With a kettle filled with very hot water, half-fill the larger pan, approximately 1 1/2" to 2".

4. Bake cheesecake as directed. When cheesecake is done, turn off oven and remove springform pan from the water bath and run a knife or narrow spatula around the edge of the pan so the cheesecake can pull away freely from the pan as it cools. Carefully move the larger pan with water to the bottom rack. It will be very hot. Place cheesecake back onto middle rack. Close oven door. Allow cheesecake to remain in cooling oven for 30 - 60 minutes or until center is completely set. Discard water from larger pan after it has cooled.

5. When the cheesecake has cooled completely, place springform pan with aluminum foil still attached in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours or preferably overnight.

6. Remove aluminium at the same time the sides and bottom of the springform pan are removed for serving or freezing.

Source(s): They say 30-60 minutes, but I leave it in the oven (turned off) for 4 hours, then chill overnight. Also, never open the oven except for right when it is done to remove the cheesecake from the water bath and place them both back in the oven seperately as directed! I am always asked to make cheesecakes for events because everyone loves the way I make them!

Some tips I use and that have worked for me are:

Placing 1 -2 TBSP. of cornstarch to the cheese filling

Not opening the door while the cheesecake is baking

Let the cheesecake rest 30 minutes in the oven after it is done, since if you leave too long resting it will crack. After this time place it in the fridge with an oven mat.

Hope it works for you.

I think this has to do with how quickly the cheesecake cools. The quicker the cake cools the more likely you are to have a crack on top. I was given the following advice. . . . *When the cheesecake is done (following the recipe) turn off the oven, leave the cheesecake *in* the oven, but crack the door open. *Wait about 2 hours. That should give the cheesecake enough time to cool down sloooooooowwwwwwwwwwwly. And it will (hopefully) prevent any cracks. Good luck!

In many instances, cracks are because it's baked too long. Many think if it seems wobbly in the middle after the baking, it's still not cooked and should remain in the oven. Taking it out when wobbly, allowing it to rest for two or three hours and chilling at min 4 hrs (overnight better) will result in a perfectly baked and creamy cheesecake.

But regardless of anything else, as someone else said, cracks don't mean a thing and won't affect the flavour.

Cheers

Keep it in a waterbath

DO NOT EVER unless the oven is on fire open the door while cooking

Keep the oven door SHUT for ONE HOUR after cooking time has ended

Success everytime.

Be certain that when you take it out of the oven there are no drafts.

Once cool cover it with sran wrap ans store in the fridge. BUT not until it has cooled to room temperature

LMAO I'm hearing the Bee Gees singing "How can you stopppppp the world from turning...."

Cracks in a NY style cheesecake don't mean a damn thing dear. Your stomach will not know they are there ;-)

I cover it up with cherries. I make a chocolate swirl one that never cracks, but the regular ones always do. I dunno!