Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceHigher Education (University +) · 1 decade ago

Is an 1840 SAT 1 with a 4.0 GPA good enough to get into one of the best colleges?

I'm going to be a senior in 2009.

I've got a 4.0 for soph & junior year overall, and am in the top 5% of my class. i took GATE, and now AP and Honors courses, and have since junior high.

These are my test scores form the first time i took it.

Math: 550

Reading: 670

Writing: 620

i'm taking my SAT II in the fall, and i haven't got my ACT scores back yet.

My dream schools include Brown, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, & Swarthmore. Yale would be nice, but that's a total reach. These schools were chosen for their Women's/Gender Studies programs.

Other schools I'll apply for are Whitman, Gonzaga, St Joseph's U, Mills College, and Berkley(a reach, but i could get into it with the scholarship my uncle would give me). However, i'd really prefer to stay out of my home state, CA.

But i'm not sure if i could get in to my dream schools. I want to major in Women's/ Gender Studies, or be an English major, and those schools have the best programs.

I'm going to be a senior in 2009.

I'm involved in Chamber Choir(3 yrs), Debate, and been on board for Drama 3 yrs, maybe 4 next yr.

Also, various volunteer stuff.

The first time i took the SAT:

Math: 550

Reading: 670

Writing: 620

My dream schools include Brown, Columbia, University of Pennsylvania, & Swarthmore. Yale would be nice, but that's a reach. Schools were chosen for their Women's/Gender Studies programs.

Other schools I'll apply for are Whitman, Gonzaga, St Joseph's U, Mills College, and Berkley(a reach, but i could get into it with the scholarship my uncle would give me). i'd really prefer to stay out of my home state, CA.

But i'm not sure if i could get in to my dream schools. I want to major in Women's/ Gender Studies, or English.

Admissions is a crap shoot I would try getting some letters of recommendation from Alumni from the various schools that you know. Just because you have very good stats, the sad truth is that people are denied everyday for no apparent reason, and it is my belief that they have a lot of people that can have medium-upper stats that will be in the top schools because of past Alumni recommending them, whether they be family or other associates. I know people that have been admitted to top law schools with poor GPA's, well not IVY, Georgetown and Wash U STL, with good LSAT scores, and other people with much better GPA's that get denied. I am almost positive you will get in one of those schools for undergrad though. Also, your particular plan of study may make an impact in admissions decision. If you want to major in something that not a lot of people major in, that may help, because like at Dartmouth, I believe that if you apply for engineering lets say, that is a different admissions process then like the arts and sciences school, they may look more at your math scores. This may not be a big deal though. Oh I see you wrote woman's/gender studies, well that is a good major, because in my mind I think somebody that majors in that has high ideals about certain things, and may have a very good personal statement/essays that the admissions committee may look at to separate you based on the other applicants with similar great scores that you have. I would say U Penn, Columbia, and Brown are great opportunities. If lets say you don't get in, do what Donald Trump did, he transferred to U Penn after getting decent marks at his previous college and received his bachelors in business administration. Well that math score looks pretty low, and although that may not impact admission to woman's/gender studies, you may want to practice your algebra and trigonometry. Good luck though, I know you will get in somewhere decent.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm going to be a senior in 2009.

Math: 550

Reading: 670

Writing:...

Source(s): 1840 sat 1 4 0 gpa good colleges: https://tr.im/BFnde

Is 1840 A Good Sat Score

I agree with the previous comment, you may need higher SAT scores for the schools you are interested in. Check into an SAT prep class such a Princeton review (both of my boys took this class and found it helpful). Your GPA/class rank are excellent but be sure to have some form of volunteer work and extra-curricular activity. Another critical factor is "demonstrated interest" ~ Colleges want to know that you are serious about wanting to attend so show them that by visiting the campus and interviewing.

Good luck~

the GPA sounds good with the courses but the SAT score is kinda borderline low for those schools. i would try and raise it to a 1950 at the LEAST. your extra curriculars also matter. you want to be a well rounded student in the eyes of college admissions. Not that your scores are bad, they are honestly really great! its just you would probably want a little padding and security while submitting your apps.

i wish you the best of luck in your future! don't get discouraged no matter what happens! everything happens for a reason and things will be as great as you make them to be.

SAT scores aren't any good, sorry. You need to get scores in the 700s in each section if you even want a fighting chance of getting into an Ivy League school.

Judging by your score on your SAT and your G.P.A its definitely possible to get into the schools you mentioned. You seem to know exactly what your doing, my suggestion is apply early and get familiar with the staff or alumni of these schools, they can give you good pointers on what each school is looking for as far as prospective students. Good luck!

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/oC4wz

Yes, that is good enough to get into the schools you mentioned. Not schools in the top 10, but those ones for sure.

You definitely need to bring up your SAT score to be considered for an Ivy League.

Not with that SAT score.

Definitely retake, as you'll need to pull that up significantly to hit any Ivies.