Can a British Citizen enter the UK on a USA passport?

My passport is tied up in the USA with the application of my daughter's British passport. We both have USA passports. We are traveling to the UK form the USA soon and I don't think our British passports will be here in time. Can we enter the UK on our USA passports?? I've heard it's illegal to enter a country of which you are a citizen using another passport??

• Phil

The UK will let you in on the US passport, but beware, it is illegal for a US Citizen to enter or leave the US without a US passport.

TITLE 8 > CHAPTER 12 > SUBCHAPTER II > Part II > § 1185

§ 1185. Travel control of citizens and aliens

(b) Citizens

Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter, the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/uscode08/usc_sec...

Everyone's passport is scanned when reentering the UK. The solicitor can petition the court to get this information from the Home Office Border Agency. You cannot access yourself nor can your solicitor as that would be a breach of the Data Protection Act

The UK recognises dual citizenship, as long you legitimately hold a US passport there won't be any problem but if you enter the country on your US passport you'll have to join the Non-EU line at Immigration Control & fill in one of those landing cards.

• lowjoy

My Daughter who lives in New York is now an American so she has a US passport, but she comes over on regular visits, and has no problem with hers. In fact she just went back last Saturday, and I go there to visit on my British Passport. No problems either way. !

Why not phone the visa section of the nearest Embassy or Consulate - they can advise you.

you should check with the embassy in the States.its better.