How far do you go to be green?

Whether you believe in global warming or depleting energy resources, do you think living "green" is necessary and how far do you go?

I think living green is very important, so my family and I

-recycle glass, plastics, newspapers, and cardboard

-we changed the light bulbs in our home

-turn off lights and other energy when not in use

-wash only full loads in the washer

-hang clothes out to dry whenever possible

-reuse plastic containers

-purchase used items often, instead of new

-donate unwanted items to local goodwill

-conserve water

among other things.

I really didn't have to make any life altering changes. After all, I am a bit of a cheapskate. I am not afraid to spend money but I only do so when required and that helps to keep my consumption down.

I live a pretty normal life without having a huge home (small, previously owned townhouse) and ride my bike to work (purchased second hand) whenever possible (South Central PA...we do get some snow days). I am healthier as a result so a lower resource consumption rate on the health care side as well as saving fuel. Showering at work helps because those showers use instant hot water technology that doesn't require a hot water heater to maintain a constant temperature.

All of this can create a bit of extra laundry. My work clothes are transported in a backpack wrapped in plastic bags (keeps them out of the landfill and then recycled when they are no longer useable) so they can be aired out before being worn again. As a result, most weeks only see us doing two or three loads of laundry (full loads only) and we only use the dryer when necessary (rigged a retractable clothes line on my deck and use a folding rack for undergarments my neighbors don't need to see). Plus, the clothing lasts longer this way (some are second hand and others are make from earth friend fibers where a balance can be found financially as well).

At home, we turn on no more than one light at a time in the room we are using (mainly task lighting where all bulbs are now CFL and will move to better technologies once we have reached end of the bulb life). I have requested my electricity from renewable sources because there is no such thing as clean coal if you get it from the ground. I am from coal country and have watched too many streams and ground water supplies ruined by coal run off. There is nothing clean about coal.

When showering at home, we also take very short showers using the "Navy Shower" method where the water is turned off when shaving and lathering. Our showers result in water only running for about 3 to 5 minutes each.

One thing I love about the changing seasons is the constantly changing menu of fresh produce available that allows us to learn new, healthy recipes. When we shop, we hit the local farmers market and have gotten to know them fairly well. We get some of the best tasting food around and it really helps us save on packaging and allows us to get our money's worth, especially when be buy in bulk.

When we must purchase packaged goods, we find a balance between precycling (selecting products based on how recyclable a product is) and being financially responsible. We try our best to keep the products with limited recyclable content to a minimum.

We love to cook so when we do we make fairly large batches of whatever recipes we are making a freeze them for later. We use a bit of electricity to produce the meals if we use the stove tope or oven. We do use a slow cooker whenever possible, though. To add a bit of fun and variety, we have a little "co-op" with some of our friends where we exchange meals so we are not eating the same meals for months on end. We even get together and cook along side each other. It makes for fun Sunday afternoons.

To reheat, we pop things in a microwave which takes less energy to reheat overall than using the stove top to reheat. If reheating takes more than a few minutes, we will use the stove or oven (Energy Star compliant...I was surprised that the cost of the Energy Star and conventional were not that far off...especially when paying with cash...if gives you bargaining power).

We found living in a financially responsible way (below our means) and being environmentally sensitive go hand in hand. "Being green" really has to integrate with the rest of your life.

I live green to provide a healthier environment for my family. I am a work in progress, but many of my family and friends think I'm already extreme. I avoid disposable things and anything made out of plastic when ever possible, use human or natures power when ever possible, things like opening a window or hanging my clothes to dry. We eat REAL food, most of it I know the person who grew it and I grow much of it myself. I am an omnivore, but I do eat wild, or grass fed, free range meats and much less than we used to. I have a solar system, but with conservation I was able to almost eliminate my bill, I will break even in my 5th or 6th year. I don't use toxic cleaning or beauty supplies, who knows how many of these studies will be found true in the end, but if I can avoid potential toxins with little effort why take the risk. I teach conservation and healthier living habits as a business and volunteer at a local center to help teach students and adults how to use our resources more wisely.

Here is what I do:

-recycle, especially aluminum

-use cloth bags for shopping

-use a 4cyl car for better fuel economy

-own and use a bike often

-compost

-use a programmable thermostat

-fixed my doors and windows

-use natural herbicides and pesticides in my yard

-minimize use of water, especially hot water

-use fluorescent light bulbs

I am concerned about environmental issues and follow closely what my political leaders are saying about these issues. I'm all for renewable energy sources and believe we should wean ourselves off of fossil fuels which are large polluters.

However, I am skeptical of many environmental programs. This includes biofuels, organic farming and carbon dioxide reductions. I feel that implementing poor policies takes away from other important useful policies we should be adopting.

I'm even starting to become skeptical of the whole recycling program. The one thing I've noticed about "going green" in many people is that if it sounds good or feels good, then we should do it. Myself, being an engineer, would prefer to only do things if they actually are beneficial rather than just make me feel good.

Living green is very important. Every other day we are faced with various environmental issues which actually hamper our quality of life. The most recent environmental concern is – Water Shortage. Fresh water levels in many parts of the world have dropped significantly. We all know how important water is for our sustenance. Here’s what we can do to help conserve water at home and work - http://www.bewaterwise.com/tips01.html . Please spread the word around. Water conservation is a top priority.

I care about the enviroment.

I am new to recycliong but here is some of the things I do.

I recycle metal for pasrt several years.I pick up metal from others to rcycle it .

I recycle plastic and paper products

I shop for products whith less packaging

I reuse many items. I reuse cartons for plants

I use my smaller toyota truck when possable for my business unless I need my big dodge truck. The Big Dodge truck stays parked to save on gas

I use canvas shopping bags

I use fluoresent light bulbs

Yes it is necessary to a certain extent, I mean I always make sure that I turn off all the electrical equipment and lights when I'm not using it. We recycle when we can and donate our unwanted things to local charity shops, too. Other than that I don't really do much else.

Green automatically means you're supporting global warming and I don't.

Yes I'm against pollution, I want cities to be free of smoke, I want waters to be clean and I support every effort by anyone to make out land, water and air free of pollution.

Supporting idea of green would mean I'm supporting global warming alarmist, which will give people wrong idea.

Green for me is planting trees, clean water in our rivers, green clean land with no land fills and waste of production, cars that do not release lots of CO (not CO2) and do not give out smoke as by product making them clean.

But I really don't mind coal fired power plants if they're somewhere outside the city because apart from CO2 (which IMO is a normal gas that doesn't even causes green house effect) they are Green. Worst of all the power that isn't green at all is nuclear, having a waste to deal with means its not CLEAN, our cities are filled with smoke but they don't kill people but I'm sure if same about of nuclear waste is dumped in the city everyone will be dead.

yes i do think living green is necessary becuz we mostly need trees to live. we need paper, pencils, houses, beds, desks, and a lot more stuff that you can think of. the more we waste the less things we get. we should also recycle so we can make the bottles,cans and glass into new and different things and save more. being green can make a difference.

The green house gas that was supposed to of caused Global Warming is not there.Just go and measure it.