Nissan Micra-?battery problem?

Hi,I drive Nissan Micra 1999 model. I have been having problem with starting the engine since last week.It does start after few attempts and struggle,at the moment.My friend said this is because I do not drive long enough distance to charge the battery.So I let the engine run for 30min,then turned it off and on.The... show more Hi,I drive Nissan Micra 1999 model. I have been having problem with starting the engine since last week.It does start after few attempts and struggle,at the moment.My friend said this is because I do not drive long enough distance to charge the battery.So I let the engine run for 30min,then turned it off and on.The engine started immediately.He said all I need is just good long drive.I do understand what he means,but do I have to drive around or let engine run for just charging battery wasting petrol?Would any car have same problem if they do not drive long distance?I personally think I need a new battery or new car(!) but I know nothing about cars-Please could you give me some advice!!
11 answers 11