Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

Nissan Micra-?battery problem?

Hi,I drive Nissan Micra 1999 model. I have been having problem with starting the engine since last week.It does start after few attempts and struggle,at the moment.My friend said this is because I do not drive long enough distance to charge the battery.So I let the engine run for 30min,then turned it off and on.The engine started immediately.He said all I need is just good long drive.I do understand what he means,but do I have to drive around or let engine run for just charging battery wasting petrol?Would any car have same problem if they do not drive long distance?I personally think I need a new battery or new car(!) but I know nothing about cars-Please could you give me some advice!!

Favorite Answer

You've pretty much answered your own question, you have to run the engine to charge the battery, whether by just letting it idle at around 2-3000revs, or go for a drive. Taking it for a drive is best. Electricity to charge the battery comes from petrol, it's as simple as that.

It WILL go down if you don't recharge it.

Nissan Micra Battery

If you DO only drive VERY short distances and infrequently, a car battery can get too low. Your friend could be right, but no, you could charge the battery with a charger, rather than have to waste fuel plus engine life!

A battery that is continually in a low state of charge has a far greater chance of failing prematurely. Lead acid batteries are meant to be maintained at full charge.

Just because the car started after running it for 1/2 hr., doesn't mean the battery is good. You would have to leave it (say) overnight, then see if it starts next morning without struggling. If it then struggles, the battery is probably finished.

Alternatively, an auto electrician can put a load test on the battery, and tell you immediately if it is bad. One caution, the battery must be as fully charged as possible when such a test is put on it.

If you are only driving the car infrequently or very short distances, a trickle charger could be put on the battery to maintain full charge and keep the battery healthy.

Yes, any car can have a similar battery problem if not used frequently or for long enough distances.

• kuka

Nissan Micra 1999

Driving short distances with heating and audio on tends to put strain on the battery diverting the current that is supposed to charge the battery into running these items. firstly, get the battery checked and fully recharged if low. also, get your alternator checked. most places (electicians) check it for free. if you can't find an electrician, drive the car around for a while then when you get home, disconnect the battery by removing the terminals. leave it like this overnight and reconnect in the morning to see if the battery starts the car. if if kick up with vigor, then the battery is ok and it is possible that there is a current leak somewhere in the cars electrics ( Not good news). other than that, you can either invest in a new battery or pick a good one from a reliable scrappie for less than a tenner.

you could also ask an electrician for the power output of your alternator and get a battery just lower than that power, meaning if your alternator puts out 50Ah, you could get a 42Ah or 46Ah battery instead of the normal 36Ah. your alternator will still charge it but it will have more power. just make sure the battery fits in your engine bay securely.

Also, if you make short runs, try not to use your audio/unnecessary electrics to reduce the strain on the battery.

The best way still to check your battery if you don't want to go to an electrician is to drive around till you feel its charged(about a 20 mile trip), then disconnect the battery and reconnect it in the morning.

with summer round the corner ;-), you could invest in a solar trickle charger if you don't use your car that often.

Else, go to a car boot sale and pick up a battery charger and charge your battery every weekend to keep it topped up.

Source(s): personal experience.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Nissan Micra-?battery problem?

Hi,I drive Nissan Micra 1999 model. I have been having problem with starting the engine since last week.It does start after few attempts and struggle,at the moment.My friend said this is because I do not drive long enough distance to charge the battery.So I let the engine run for 30min,then turned...

Source(s): nissan micra battery problem: https://biturl.im/V36Db

You don't need a new car. Your friend is not correct about running the car for some period, or the need to have a long drive. The car battery needs to have enough charge to adequately start the car, but it does not need to have enough charge to keep the car running, since running the car charges the acid battery through the alternator, enough to keep if on. So your best bet is probably the battery. Get a volt meter and check its charge, it should be 12.6 volts, anything under 10.5 volts is dead and gone.

Go to a reputable place that sells batterys, i went to halfords when my battery had gone. They will come out with a battery tester and test to see if its your battery or your alternator thats gone.

If its the battery then just say thanks, and then shop around for good price for a battery. If its the alternator then you need to get a new one, and (possibly) a new battery. The alternator charges the battery when your car is moving.

If the alternator is no good then as soon as you put a new battery in if the alternator isnt charging it then the battery will just run down. So like i said you need to determine if its the alternator or the battery thats knackered.

And as for use of the car, the car does need to be used, but as long as its used a reasonable amount then the battey should still hold charge.

• Terry

Somewhere like kwik-fit or Halfords will check the battery and charging system for you, most do it free of charge too. A battery doesn't cost that much these days and if you get a low maintenance one you can forget all about it once fitted.

Good luck.

A car ticking over for 30 minutes will not charge the battery at all or very little at best.

If not holding charge you need a new battery - simple as that.