Are Human Toes Technically Vestigial?

So I was looking at my toes today and thinking about them and stuff and I wondered; do human toes count as vestigial structures? They no longer have the dexterity and gripping power of our ancestors, and the shoes we wear completely cover over their form. Wearing mittens on our hands 24/7 would be extremely... show more So I was looking at my toes today and thinking about them and stuff and I wondered; do human toes count as vestigial structures? They no longer have the dexterity and gripping power of our ancestors, and the shoes we wear completely cover over their form. Wearing mittens on our hands 24/7 would be extremely difficult, but we do the equivalent with our feet all the time.

Now, admittedly, I haven't had the courage of my convictions to test my theory and lop off my footfingers. I understand they play a part in balance, but to what extent? If you took off equal toes on both sides, would you still be balanced?