Tall buildings in USA but not UK?? :S?

so I have been wondering lately, home come there are so many tall buildings and skyscrapers in the USA in cities like New york, Atlanta, detroit, las vegas etc. but in the uk there are only a handful of tall buildings. its a bit confusing because in the UK the population is growing rapidly and there is more need... show more so I have been wondering lately, home come there are so many tall buildings and skyscrapers in the USA in cities like New york, Atlanta, detroit, las vegas etc. but in the uk there are only a handful of tall buildings.
its a bit confusing because in the UK the population is growing rapidly and there is more need for tall buildings for accomodation etc but in the US, which is way bigger than the UK there are loads and loads of buildings.
is this because of the economy or because or historical and cultural reasons that the UK does not develop such tall buildings or is it because they just cannot be bothered ??
im really confused.. please help :)
p.s I live in the UK