Problem with Vista port fowarding.?

I use BitTorrent as a torrent downloader. System specifications: Computer: Acer Aspire AST180-UA381B AMD Athlon 64, 3800+ 2.4 GHz 1GB (766MB Virtually shown) DDR2 Memory Motorola SB4101 Modem Connected at 8 mbps. No Router In Network Windows Firewall won't load, but Vista Security Center shows... show more I use BitTorrent as a torrent downloader.

System specifications:
Computer: Acer Aspire AST180-UA381B
AMD Athlon 64, 3800+ 2.4 GHz
1GB (766MB Virtually shown) DDR2 Memory
Motorola SB4101 Modem Connected at 8 mbps.
No Router In Network

Windows Firewall won't load, but Vista Security Center shows Windows Firewall IS actively protecting the computer.

I can't find any open ports to use, and all port detections show the ports I choose are not forwarded properly.

No firewall is installed on said computer to my knowledge.

A torrent download that should download at high speeds only downloads at 50 kbps average.

Bandwidth manager shows no other connections are active and the usage matches okay.

What could be causing the download to go so slow and the ports to be closed? Or how should I enable windows firewall if that's the problem?

This is the error message I get with Windows Firewall when I try to activate the firewall or the settings for it.

"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."
Update: But I don't have a router to begin with, I didn't think port forwarding would be possible without a router.

What can I do?
Update 2: As far as I know, there is no installed firewall on this computer other than the Vista Security Center affiliated Windows Firewall, and that refuses to load. I've tested if ports are open on websites and no data can go through on the ports I choose. "You weren't very clear though about what... show more As far as I know, there is no installed firewall on this computer other than the Vista Security Center affiliated Windows Firewall, and that refuses to load.

I've tested if ports are open on websites and no data can go through on the ports I choose.

"You weren't very clear though about what happens when you open a port in your software firewall. Does it just refuse to open? Or does the interface not open up at all, not even giving you a chance to check?"
Update 3: The current connection is connected at 8 mbps and runs a good 5000 kbps through a speed test. I'm sorry about the 50 kbps, I meant kBps, it jumps up to 100 kBps every once in a while, but not often. "EDIT2: It's also possible that your ISP is throttling you. I wouldn't be surprised. Even if... show more The current connection is connected at 8 mbps and runs a good 5000 kbps through a speed test.

I'm sorry about the 50 kbps, I meant kBps, it jumps up to 100 kBps every once in a while, but not often.

"EDIT2: It's also possible that your ISP is throttling you. I wouldn't be surprised. Even if you are not connectible, you should still be able to get decent speeds. 50Kbps = 6.25KB/s, which is a speed slow enough to cause me to believe that it's possible you have a more serious problem than your firewall issues. Namely, traffic shaping."