Problem with Vista port fowarding.?

I use BitTorrent as a torrent downloader.

System specifications:

Computer: Acer Aspire AST180-UA381B

AMD Athlon 64, 3800+ 2.4 GHz

1GB (766MB Virtually shown) DDR2 Memory

Motorola SB4101 Modem Connected at 8 mbps.

No Router In Network

Windows Firewall won't load, but Vista Security Center shows Windows Firewall IS actively protecting the computer.

I can't find any open ports to use, and all port detections show the ports I choose are not forwarded properly.

No firewall is installed on said computer to my knowledge.

A torrent download that should download at high speeds only downloads at 50 kbps average.

Bandwidth manager shows no other connections are active and the usage matches okay.

What could be causing the download to go so slow and the ports to be closed? Or how should I enable windows firewall if that's the problem?

This is the error message I get with Windows Firewall when I try to activate the firewall or the settings for it.

"Windows cannot start the Windows Firewall service."

But I don't have a router to begin with, I didn't think port forwarding would be possible without a router.

What can I do?

As far as I know, there is no installed firewall on this computer other than the Vista Security Center affiliated Windows Firewall, and that refuses to load.

I've tested if ports are open on websites and no data can go through on the ports I choose.

"You weren't very clear though about what happens when you open a port in your software firewall. Does it just refuse to open? Or does the interface not open up at all, not even giving you a chance to check?"

The current connection is connected at 8 mbps and runs a good 5000 kbps through a speed test.

I'm sorry about the 50 kbps, I meant kBps, it jumps up to 100 kBps every once in a while, but not often.

"EDIT2: It's also possible that your ISP is throttling you. I wouldn't be surprised. Even if you are not connectible, you should still be able to get decent speeds. 50Kbps = 6.25KB/s, which is a speed slow enough to cause me to believe that it's possible you have a more serious problem than your firewall issues. Namely, traffic shaping."

• cen

EDIT: Forget what I wrote first about opening the port(s) in your hardware firewall. Your modem is just a modem. I thought it was a hybrid router/modem and would, therefore, have a firewall. I just looked at the manual and, apparently, it doesn't.

That does make this a bit more difficult. You weren't very clear though about what happens when you open a port in your software firewall. Does it just refuse to open? Or does the interface not open up at all, not even giving you a chance to check?

EDIT2: It's also possible that your ISP is throttling you. I wouldn't be surprised. Even if you are not connectible, you should still be able to get decent speeds. 50Kbps = 6.25KB/s, which is a speed slow enough to cause me to believe that it's possible you have a more serious problem than your firewall issues. Namely, traffic shaping.

EDIT3: Even if it is 50KB/s or 100KB/s, it's still far less than what you're paying for. It still means that you have some kind of problem.

I think that it probably is your ISP shaping you down. If you want, you could try using uTP, which uses UDP packets exclusively. This bypasses some traffic shaping techniques by avoiding TCP packets.

I am not exactly sure where to click to open the `Advanced` menu in the BitTorrent client (Mainline), but in uTorrent, it's at Options->Preferences->Advanced. Since BitTorrent and uTorrent are basically the same client -- just packaged differently -- it's probably accessed in a similar way in your client.

In this window, go to bt.transp_disposition and set the value to 2 to restrict all incoming packets to UDP. All connections other than those from uTP enabled clients will eventually drop out after setting this value, leaving you in a swarm of uTorrent and BitTorrent clients. Give it some time and see what happens. It's worked for me, at least.

Here are some other combinations for bt.transp_disposition that you can try:

1 - incoming TCP

2 - incoming uTP

4 - outgoing TCP

8 - outgoing uTP

Specific combinations:

255 - both TCP and uTP, incoming + outgoing (future-proof setting, always will mean this)

15 - both TCP and uTP, incoming + outgoing (default)

Port forwarding should not crash if you forward to the static PC IP address. Hopefully you are not forwarding to the router itself - that could cause some loop and a crash....