Needle stick injury>?

While taking blood specimens in class today, i accidently pricked my finger with the needle used on someone else, another student. I broke skin and my thumb was bleeding.

If she did have anything, what are the odds of me catching it?

It frightens me that the Dental Tech says this happens "all the time". It should never happen!

While the chance of a disease like HIV or Hepatitis being transmitted through a needle stick is small, it is still possible. The important thing is to immediately clean the wound thoroughly. I hope you did that.

Also, if you know and trust the person that was stuck first, you should talk to him/her and see if he/she will share with you whether or not you have a reason to worry. (i.e. do they have any communicable diseases?) If the answer is yes, you need to get yourself to a doctor. If they answer is no, you should still watch your bloodwork every six months for a year. Get tested for HIV and hepatitis.

Source(s): I'm a registered nurse.

You must follow the institutions neddle stick injury policy. There should be one in place if you are being allowed to collect blood. Contact the Health and Safety Officer or head of department. You need to get bloods collected from the person you collected the bloods from and yourself. Have you ever been vaccinated for Hepatitis B? If you have then you need your antibody levels checked. You need to get baseline blood tests for Hepatitis B, C and HIV. Do this immediately and fill in the paperwork (Incident Reporing Documentation).

Source(s): SCIENTIST INFECTIOUS DISEASES AND IMMUNOLOGY.

i am a dental tech and this happens all the time. the likleyhood is low but you should still get labs taken. i'm pretty sure you get the labs done that day, three months later, then at the 6 month mark. this has happened to me and all my collgues at least once. Good luck though!

BTW we all came out fine. no disease here

• ertl

Sounds kinda like as quickly as I have been given fiber glass caught all in my palms at NRH2O. What I did is I went abode and have been given tape and caught it as tightly as possibe long my arm and pulled interior the path of the glass. If the tape gets a competent adequate grip on it it may come appropriate out. If that doesnt paintings soak ur finger in warm warm warm water and then squeeze ur finger until finally it starts working its thank you to the exterior. wish it works for ya. ~Tamz