Isn't it amazing that The Beatles have sold the second most albums this decade than anyone else?

Over 27 million albums!

Only Eminem has sold more, 31 million.

It's obvious that a lot of people still love The Beatles!

Who do you think is buying all these Beatle albums?

Here's the top 20 list of album sellers this decade so far:

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/chart_watch/34074...

Edit: Deathcube, I was wondering if everyone thinks that just new fans were buying them or older fans were replacing their original copies or both.

Edit: Amnesiac, I was wondering if it was global too.

Edit; Nathan, You're obviously in the minority.

Edit: Jamal, That's a great point to consider!

Edit: Cookie Cutter, Thanks for clarifying!

Edit: Cookie Cutter, What, there's an album out of #2' hits! I didn't know that, thanks.

Thanks for the update Cookie Cutter. I was wondering why I hadn't heard that!

Edit; FloydManiac, I only bought one since 2000!

Edit; Hey Will, I think The Beatles Rock Band comes out this summer so that will probably add millions more to their sales too, good point.

Edit; Beatle1909, That is a depressing thought, isn't it!

Edit; LittleMeg, I know, Why & Who?

• Best answer

The list is for USA Sales only based on the Nielsen/Scan. The guy who wrote the article explains this in the comments section while he's explaining that although Linkin Park sold 20 million copies of their first album, that was 20 million worldwide, not just America, thus their position on the chart. I bought my first/only Beatles cd this decade as well. "1" i think it's called with all their Number One hits, which is probally the one Beatles cd that sold so much, along with it's follow-up of Number 2's (that I haven't bought but looks like it would be better) :) The last time there was a 'hits' package of any type for The Beatles was in the 90s and that was 'Anthology' which was just too expensive for the average buyer. Before that, the last 'hits' albums they had came out in the early 70s. So by releasing the '1' & '2's cds it's given 30 years of generations a chance to economically 'catch-up' on the hits of The Beatles, imho. :) Happy Summer Everyone!!

Source(s): Note to Beatle Fanatic: Redemption(lol): It seems I was wrong about the '2' album. I'd read (in Rolling Stone) a couple years ago about the plans of releasing it and so I'd assumed it had actually been released. I was wrong! Instead, they released a collection of more obscure Beatles tracks mixed in with a few radio favorites on the cd 'Love' which came out in 2006. Sorry I had my info wrong. I do see on Amazon however, that on Sept. 9, 2009 they will release all the Beatles albums REMASTERED w/bonus cuts, starting with one titled, simply, 'The Beatles'. I do have one Beatles album that my sister gave me years ago called 'Meet The Beatles', I may have to go dig it out...LOL! :) peace & Happy Summer! Edit 1.2: I bet after the release of the remasters, they kick Eminem out of the first position!!! Yay! ;P

Very cool! It makes perfect sense. 2/3rds of the kids I know end up buying at least 5 Beatles albums between the ages of 12 and 14. Worshipping the Beatles for a few years is like a rite-of-passage type thing around here.

Not too amazing BF...I'm thinking kids born in the 80's and early 90's...growing up listening to Dad's or even Gramp's cranking up the Fearsome Foursome, or catching a Beatles tune on a commercial and exploring from there.

I really wonder how much the video games Rock Band and Guitar Hero have helped with sales to even younger listeners. The games introduced the younger Em listeners to Classic Rock and Metal...boosting their interest in the music and artists...which could be the reason the RIAA and the record labels are restricting sites like Youtube, Imeem, and Project Playlist from playing their artists. Their motto is "Show me the Money"..anyways...

The Beatles are #1 in sales in the 2000's...listening to their White Album..I understand why!!

It really is amazing. Considering they haven't released a new album in nearly 40 years, to think they have still out-sold pretty much everyone this decade is quite impressive. I know I've been slowly replacing my parent's old vinyl records with CDs versions of their albums. It also must make a difference for their CDs sales that their music is not available for sale in any of the online stores as of now. Also, their still a great band and hugely popular today.

It's nice to see artists with talent, like the Beatles, Alan Jackson, etc., making a list like that. It's just proof that real talent can be popular. Many of the artists on that list, however, surely don't belong there...most just don't deserve popularity!

And, by the way, that isn't too amazing, since it's the Beatles! I mean, you just expect big things like that from then, even though they haven't been together for years!

It's impressive but not at all surprising. I'd say it's new listeners, both young and old that just get hooked by them, people who just discover them and those who never really looked into them properly.

Also, there's a lot of people I wouldn't expect to see in there - like Kenny Chesney - Is this an American or global list? Some of the artists aren't well known where I come from.

Yeah it is quite awesome. So much crappy artists are on that list though.Eminem should never have topped it. As to who's buying the albums, umm i think everyone is.

Edit: 27 million records is a huge number so as i said probably everyone although I think the majority of them are new fans, because I don't quite see why old fans would want to buy replacements for their records.

OMG! That's awesome=) It's so nice to see that there are still alot of people besides us that still love The Beatles:)

Keep on buying Beatles albums people, so that The Beatles outbuy Eminem:)

• Sookie

Hey, Beatle!

I was reading through the comments and I believe that these are album sales in the US alone. Don't quote me on that, though.

And the new / old fan question...I think it's both. I think there is a younger generation that still embracing them but I have to believe that a decent amount of the total is from the older fans too.

Going back to the comments left on these blogs...I always love reading those, and they always crack me up. "Starlight Vocal Band!!!!!! 'Sky rockets in flight, Afternoon Delight!' Where's the justice???"...LOL. Yeah, how did Starlight Vocal Band not make the list?!?

I think it's also a testament to the relatively low quality of music in this decade. I was just reminiscing...the 70s had Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc, the 80s had Billy Idol, Van Halen, Def Leppard, etc. The 90s had Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins...but when trying to think of the most influential bands of this decade I could only come up with Nickelback and Linkin Park. That's indicative of a low-quality decade because neither of those bands can compare to the best of any of the previous decades.

As far a rock, the best thing to come out of this decade is Indie rock. Unfortunately these bands are not as well respected as they should be and not as commercially successful. Rock isn't dead...its just underground.