Is it ever acceptable to date a friends ex?

I am falling for my friend's boyfriend. I have known this girl almost all my life! Her and her boyfriend have never had a 'great' relationship. Which they recently came to talk about recently. He had always flirted but I never thought anything of it b/c it was pretty innocent and we're both... show more I am falling for my friend's boyfriend. I have known this girl almost all my life! Her and her boyfriend have never had a 'great' relationship. Which they recently came to talk about recently.
He had always flirted but I never thought anything of it b/c it was pretty innocent and we're both flirts by nature. In the recent months we've hung out and really gotten to know eachother. I never thought of him 'like that' until this last month. Its not something that I meant to happen. I think about him quite often and I know he thinks about me. If he were to leave her would it ever be acceptable for him and I to date?