Is it ever acceptable to date a friends ex?

I am falling for my friend's boyfriend. I have known this girl almost all my life! Her and her boyfriend have never had a 'great' relationship. Which they recently came to talk about recently.

He had always flirted but I never thought anything of it b/c it was pretty innocent and we're both flirts by nature. In the recent months we've hung out and really gotten to know eachother. I never thought of him 'like that' until this last month. Its not something that I meant to happen. I think about him quite often and I know he thinks about me. If he were to leave her would it ever be acceptable for him and I to date?

Favorite Answer

If I were me I would consider it "breaking the code" it's basically the unwritten rule that you don't mess with your friends ex and in this case CURRENT boyfriend. I don't think your friend would appreciate it.

And if he really wants you he needs to fix his current situation before jumping into another.

It's alright I write novels. Bad habit? I could do without your texting grammer. B4? Come on. Anyways it's always tricky to date a friend's exe, let alone a close friend's exe. But love is love and it shouldn't be sacrificed because someone you are good friends with USED to date him. If you do have a relationship with in the near future Kate will always be an uncomfortable subject and Kate might resent you. If you really like Nick though I would maybe take Kate out to dinner and in mid conversation tell her that you have feelings for Nick and that you want her approval/you want to let her know you might act on those feelings. She might accept it and she might not but it's your choice in the end. Even if she acts like it's perfectly fine for you to date Nick she will never completley be okay with it for a while so might not want to bring him up for it may be sore topic for her in the future if you guys date Nick shouldn't be reserved for Kate when they are not dating though, so I'd say go for it. It's been 6 months and that is plenty of time for Kate to have gotten over Nick. Try to hook Kate up with another guy maybe?

Absolutely. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be ok. It might not be a good idea to try and steal him from her, but when she's done with him, he's fair game. Almost all is fair in love and war.

• NO, evil, she'lll hate you and you aren't going to marry the guy, so after a while you'll have lost both...

UNLESS, the guy is really rich, in which case go for it

only with clear, explicit permission (has to be given BEFORE you do anything with him at all)...and even then, i believe it is a very low class of person who dates a close friends ex, it is visciously selfish and inconsiderate (but i value true friendship very high, you may not)