car door lock [driver side] broken?

the car door lock doesnt lock or unlock when the door is open.

only way to lock the open door is to pull on the door handle, and then locking it

i can use a key to lock/unlock just fine.

when the door is closed, i can lock/unlock from the inside

Update:

how do i fix it?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best answer

Is this a Honda? Hondas (and some other cars) require you to hold the handle as you lock the door, so that you do not accidentally lock yourself out of the car. It is a little bit different to get used to, but that is the design of the lock.

Source(s): 29 years in the auto business
  • 4 years ago

When you buy a new car lock, the installer will re-key the new lock to match your key. Take your car to any mechanic and have them replace the lock. When you get the car back, it'll be like nothing ever happened. This is a very common repair and it would be very aggravating to have to carry around different keys for different doors on your car, which is why new car door locks don't come with a set of keys (the lock is adjusted to match your key).

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Perhaps I am in an altered state, but I can't imagine why one would want to lock/unlock an open door.

• 1 decade ago

There's nothing to fix. Its supposed to do that. Sounds like a Toyota or Honda.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

change key or change new lock for good step.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is your question or do you want to tell us all about your siht car.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

stop smoking weed

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.